Correct Packard Shutter

s._katz

For an Eastman Commercial 8 x 10, the 1930ish catalog indicates a Packard #6 shutter is recommended, but it doesn't say what size. It

looks like an 8" square (4.5" opening) would just fit, but later in the catalog #6 Packards are only available up to 7 1/2" (4" opening). The

8" Packards are style #8 with dual cylinders. The camera has 1 plugged hole for the air tube and a mounting spot for the instant pin, and I

want these, especially the pin, to line up properly. Does anyone know which size shutter I should be looking for to fit this camera

properly? Thanks.

<p>I did check the current Packard Shutter company web site and asked them the same question. They did not answer the question about which size shutter was correct for the old Eastman Commercial 8 x 10 camera. A custom shutter could be built, but I would rather buy, and perhaps rebuild, an old correct size shutter than buy a new custom shutter.</p>

<p>The shutter size is more about the lens. A hole size big enough that it will not block the lens and small enough to fit the lensboard.On my Kodak 2D, I use 2 1/2" square to 5 1/4" square shutters. Depends on what you can find. All mine came used and cheap as did the old uncoated barrel lenses.<br>

The 'instant' pin is just a piece of wire. The real pain is the air nipple ...hard to find used and expensive new. The 1/25 or 1/30 second works well with T used to focus. Finding used air bulbs not rotted is another issue.<br>

Chris</p>

<p>Excellent information - thanks. Do you use a different Packard shutter with each lens? I have several barrel lenses I would like to try on the camera, some 3 1/2" diameter. I assume that the diameter of the glass at the back of the lens is what counts.<br>

The shutter in the photo at: http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/ekc/eastcomm.htm seems to be permanently mounted in the camera. The photos are of a camera exactly the same as mine (except for the shutter) and I would like to duplicate the original configuration as much as possible. </p>

<p>Generally one lensboard/lens one Packard shutter. My Kodak 2D uses 6 inch square lensboards. I bought 4 1/2" or 5" size #6 shutters and mounted them behind the lens on a plywood lensboard. I bought what I could find used and stiff wire from the hobby store for the 'instant' pin. The shutters work but the single speed is limiting in the field. I shoot slow (100ISO) film for nature/landscape work, usually stop the lens down and use 'T' for depth or just because it is dark (photographically) in the woods.<br>

Chris</p><div>00eFMP-566574184.JPG.3d3b73017b473ff43385b27ebc9b3a98.JPG</div>