Essential accessories for Sony DCR-TRV27?

chau_nguyen1

To be honest I am in the same position as you, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I am an experienced photographer though, so the same principles apply. If somebody were to ask me whether they should get a wide angle lens I would ask "Do you feel its absence?"

In my case, I put off buying a wide angle converter because the built-in lens is equivalent to 24mm in 35mm format. That is sufficient for my current needs. I think it is too early for you to buy filters. Let experience dictate the path. Besides, it would be difficult for us to make a good recommendation because we don't know what your needs are. Maybe you want good sound; then you will buy an external microphone. Maybe you want good light; then you will buy hotlights. Maybe you want stability; then you will buy a steadicam. And so the list goes...

All of these could be considered "essential" depending on whom you ask. The batteries though...I go through 'em like socks!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah a better mic than the built-in one is a good idea, it will make such a difference when you view your video afterwards.

Some other accessories worth mentioning (some are obviously essential): Camera bag, circular polariser, smooth tripod, lens hood, long-life battery (expensive but worth it), external mic (shotgun or handheld), raincoat, ac adapter/charger, lots of spare tapes.

I personally find the lens of a video camera isn't wide enough for lots of applications. A wide-angle adapter is a great idea but can work out expensive, and cheap ones can really distort your image (unless that's the effect you're after).

Oh, and be aware that a lot of photographic tripods weren't designed for constant panning and tilting, which will result in very jerky motion. If you can, spend a little bit more on a decent video tripod. It's better, but still not perfect.

If you're REALLY crazy...splash out on a fluid head, this'll give you some superb results.