Doing the Dacora Digna

<p>Well, this version certainly seems to be somewhat rare. Basically, it's a simple medium-format camera with a pop-out lens, producing 12 exposures on 120 rollfilm. The Digna came in about four versions, with shutters ranging from a simple box-camera-style "Inst."or "B", and a f/8 Achromat lens, through to this top-of-the range version with the Prontor shutter with speeds of 1/25 to 1/200 plus B, and this very interesting 80mm Enna Werk Munchen Correlar f/2.9 lens. This coated anastigmat lens is by far the best thing about a rather undistinguished camera, and it's a surprise to see such a lens fitted to a camera of this rather lowly rank. Information regarding the Correlar is scanty, to say the least, though I've discovered that there was M42 version which is sought after for use on the DSLR's, and if anyone has any further information I'd be delighted to receive it. Generally, I'd be keen to hear of any other member's experiences with the Digna.<br /><br />The somewhat shoddy shutter release linkage is problematic, to say the least, and I'm about to send the camera off for repairs. Sometimes the shutter cocking lever won't hold in the cocked position, sometimes the shutter won't fire, and the degree of shake involved is astronomical. I shot two films in attempts to get things sorted, ending up with only about a quarter of the frames usable. I'll post a few samples and put together a more comprehensive post when the problems are resolved, but the results so far are encouraging. The Correlar displays minimal distortion, a lack of vignetting, nice contrast and excellent sharpness, when the shakes don't interfere. Film was Arista EDU Ultra 200, developed in PMK Pyro and scanned on an Epson V700 using Silverfast SE software.</p><div>00eDQb-566237684.thumb.jpg.7b9490bfd1a8336d1e7ccac552c3b9f2.jpg</div>

<p>Nice shots as ever, Rick.<br>

My father had an Ilford Sportsman in the 1950's, a badged version of the 35mm Dacora Dignette. The Dignette had a family likeness to your camera but being for 35mm was smaller. It had a simpler, two speed shutter and maybe a simpler lens too. So like yours but quite a bit down market.. It was also not of the highest quality. The build quality felt tinny and the shutter packed up a few years back. So a camera for times of post-war austerity. My father eventually upgraded to an EXA (slr!) in the 1960's sometime.<br>

My father shot 35mm colour transparency film as at this time B&W was old hat and colour prints were expensive and often poor quality. </p>

<p>Nice images from the Dacora. I think these extending tube cameras are much under-rated. I had a Braun Paxina of similar configuration, and regret selling it. They don't suffer from some of the typical problems you get with folders, and I didn't have any worries with light leaking around the edge of the tube as some people seem to fear. The F/2.9 lens gave sharp, contrasty results. I can't remember the name of the lens, Paximar or something.</p>

<p>I have a Dacora Royal from the same era, notable because of its lever wind. The true hipster could probably work this without looking at the red window as the number of winds required gradually decreases from 2 1/2 at the start of the roll to 2 winds at the end when the take up spool has got larger. It has a Subita f4.5 lens which is sharp at the center, probably 3 elements.</p><div>00eDSq-566243984.jpg.bd982c15930372026cbd0df9a6388adb.jpg</div>

<p> I had one exactly like Rick's. It was a decent camera. Mine took sharp photos w/ very little resolution, but not too bad. I much preferred the Agfa Isola cameras when it came to tube cameras. They are very pretty w/ a stylish design. Even though they're lighter than even the Dacora, they don't feel hollow, and the Agnar triplet that's on some models is a beast! Wonderful lens.</p>

<p>Always like the tones you get Rick, very pleasing. The Dacora seems to turn in a good result despite the sub par mechanicals.<br>

You should have a top notch little MF cameras if repairs can be affected OK. I guess that it is all about the lens more than anything else, and while Enna was no Schneider, they did produce some more than acceptable optics.<br>

Funny, but you don't see too many Dacora cameras here in OZ, maybe none survive, and I have never put hands on one.</p>

<p>Great work against all odds.<br>

This from a camera made by Daco Dangelmaier of Reutlingen und München who made at least 4 versions of a Dacora Digna, one of them using 127 (4x4) film. Of other Dacoras and Dignas there seems to be no end (<em>Kadlubeks Kamera-Katalog</em>, 5. Auflage, 2004). Most of their large line of cameras were basically snap-shooters.<br>

What a pity they were not located in the East Zone, so I could add some to my "collection". "VEB Dangelmaier" has a certain charm to the name.;)</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. <strong>Alan</strong>, I have a very battered Royal in the Parts and Spares department, but most of the leatherette is missing and I'd never associated it with Dacora. Thanks for the enlightenment. You're right about the build quality, <strong>Colin</strong>, "tinny" pretty well sums it up! Like you, <strong>John</strong>, I've not had any problems with light leaks with these pop-out designs; I have a nice little Super Baldinette of this configuration, and some time ago I put an Agfa Isolar II through it's paces. You're right about the surprisingly good Agnar lens, <strong>Steve</strong>.</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00ax67</p>

<p>Many thanks for the additional information, <strong>JDM</strong>. You're right, <strong>Tony</strong>, I don't think too many Dacora cameras made their way down under, but there are heaps of Dacora-manufactured cameras like the Ilford Sportsman out there, Ilford being a market leader in NZ for many years.</p>

<p>Excellent post . Wherever did this film company's ..uummm consumer camera get such a lens?? Excellent shooting. Loved Derelict, and those that followed Main Street Limes and Coach House ... but the last one is superb in tonality Spring Afternoon. <br />This Dacora with a Correlar? and a Prontor... is indeed a seldom issue. I saw the linkage on the shutter release.... looks precarious... indeed. Hope it's not too serious. Very nice exampkle too.. You do have a talent for getting the best looking examples... here as well!! You mentioned you will come back to this... looking forward to that.</p>

<p> </p>