Expired 120 film fog question

<p>Hi Everyone -</p>

<p>I processed some old Fuji Acros 100 today and I noticed it is fogged at the edges with the worst of the fogging at the end of the roll. My question is, does 120 film fog (from age) at the edges first? Has anyone experience this? I can't seem to find any information about it online. </p>

<p>Thanks. Steve</p>

<p>120 film fogs at the edges from light getting around the end, between the edge of the paper and the spool end.</p>

<p>As with 35mm, where light can leak in through the light trap, you should load/unload away from direct sunlight, and the dimmer, the better. Tighten, but don't cinch up, the paper before sealing it. Keep it out of direct sunlight.</p>

<p>Normally, it should be outside the image area, though the border is pretty narrow.<br>

Looking at some recent rolls, most have some, but it doesn't get past the border, and I did try to keep it shaded. </p>

-- glen

<p>Robert - The tank doesn't have a leak because I processed a current roll with the expired rolls and it was fine - no fogging whatsoever. I've also used that tank for years and had no problems. The room was completely dark - I've processed thousands of rolls of film in there.</p>

<p>Well that doesn't make sense, as you would think that the fogging would be normally worse at the beginning of the roll, but cosmic rays go right through everything, so beginning of the roll or the end of roll, it's probably all the same to it.</p>

<p>It could just be the way the film went bad over time though, which is why I gave up shooting expired film. The results were all over the place, and you ended up not really saving any money due to all the lost or sub optimal shots that came from it.</p>

<p>You could post a scan of the last few frames. </p>

<p>But if it goes maybe 1/16 inch in from the edge, I suspect it is leaks around the paper. Even more, you might see the spots spaced about the circumference of the roll. </p>

<p>You didn't say if it was exposed long ago, or just recently. (I have done both.) </p>

<p>But it doesn't take long, just the time to put the roll into, and take it out, is enough. </p>

-- glen

<p>I have never known film to fog from the edge only due to age.</p>

<p>I do have a box of paper that was a little old that someone gave to me. (So I don't know the storage conditions.) That one fogged everywhere except the edges. I still don't know why it did that, and it wasn't all that old. </p>

-- glen