Sekonic L458 DR

rds

<p>Can anyone tell me if the Sekonic L458RD Litemaster PRO (with built-in Pocket Wizard) will fire my Elinchrom D-Lite RX4it flash unit electronically in order to get a meter reading?<br>

I have used Pocket Wizards and Pocket Wizard clones to fire other flash units but have not tried using Pocket Wizards with my Elinchrom unit as it came with the Elinchrom Skyport Speed Flash Trigger and built-in receiver in the monolight. I'm wondering if the Elinchrom built-in Skyport receiver is compatible with the Sekonic L458RD Litemaster's Pocket Wizard?<br>

Thank to everyone for their information and feedback. Robert</p>

<p>"Compatibility" boils down to compatible/identical frequency between your Sekonic trigger module and whatever its triggering. I don't bother since there's the additional Sekonic complication of FCC/CE modules. Either use a cord to trigger the lights with the meter or use an on-camera trigger that can talk to your lights with the meter in the shot set to cordless mode to take a reading.</p>

<p>If your PocketWizard will fire the Elinchrome, then you can probably use the Sekonic meter. This is rather unlikely, because the trigger signal is digitally encoded.</p>

<p>I have an older Sekonic (508?, no markings) meter with a PC flash port on the side which can be used to trigger a PocketWizard or any other remote with a PC cable. That's a reliable way to set levels and profile an area. That meter is also sensitive to a burst of light, so I can get a reading by triggering the flash or remote without connecting it to the meter.</p>

<p>I was told by B&H Photo that the Sekonic L478DR will not fire Elinchrom flash units electronically. The Pocket Wizard and the Elinchrom Skyport receiver work on different radio frequencies.</p>

<p>Elinchrom and Sekonic working in partnership have come out with the Sekonic L478DR-U-EL that is design to works with the Elinchrom Skyport radio receiver. The L478DR-U-EL also allows you to control the flash power setting wirelessly. Thanks for your feedback and information. Robert </p>