Anyone try E200?

jim_chow

Has anyone tried the new E200 120 size yet? I heard that pushing it +3 is equivalent to ISO 1000 (instead of 1600). Does anyone know what ISO it should be rated at for a push of +1 and +2? (I only remember that +2 is less than ISO 800).

I have tried one roll of the 120 of this film pushed one stop. I shot it at ASA 333 and that seemed to be perfect for one stop. As far as the grain is concerned, it was much worse than than the 100SW. The color saturation was just ok, with greens being rich but other colors being a little dull. The low contrast(for a slide film)was a positive point. I will not buy anymore E-200 but instead will use 100SW pushed one stop. SR

I have been processing E6 films, almost since Kodak introduced it back in the 70's. E200 is a vast improvment over it's previous generation EPD200. It is almost as fine a grained film as E100S,but not quite. It is more like EPP or EPR in that arena. It is less saturated than E100S, but much better than EPD. It has an accurate color balance and contrast. It exhibits almost no changes when pushed one stop, Try rating it at 400 for starters, and adjust accordingly for your own local conditions. I have not tested this film at +2 yet.

I used it with my 35mm Canon, hand holding a 300mm F4 and got some very sharp pictures of sea lions. I even got a picture of my friend taking a picture with his Nikon ( face Shoot ) Hand held with a 1.4 extender, and you could count the hairs on his neck! Of course I had to give him a print of that one :)

Astia, pushed 1 stop, looks slighly better to me though. I havn't tried a roll of E200 in my 6x7 yet. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

As a followup to my inquiry, I've shot a few rolls of E200 in the120

size (6x6 w/ zeiss 80/2.8 planar and Fuji G617 w/ 105/8 Fujinon

at f22, gitzo carbon tripod, MLU, etc.). Upon evaluating the chromes

w/ my Schneider 6x6 loupe, I initially thought the 80mm lens

seemed a little soft. I then compared the Astia chromes of the

same scene and E100/velvia chromes I had shot half a year ago at

the same location under similar conditions. Guess what? The lenses

are fine, but the grain in E200 is HUGE compared to that of the

Astia, E100, and velvia. It's noticeable under a 6x6 (3x) loupe. I

agree with Steve's response. It's much better to push Astia or E100

+1 or +2 than to use E200, which, incidentally, costs almost twice

as much per box (I was using free sample rolls included in a 3 pack

of E100S). The E200 only deserves to be used for handheld

snapshots, not serious shots that might be enlarged.