For a beginner - Tamron 17-50 F2.8?

RaymondC

<p>Someone I know got a used D3000 body and needs a lens. I thought about a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. Any other opinions? </p>

<p>Their first SLR, the body came without lenses. They will be using it equally indoors (peoples homes including at night and at church) and outdoors, at the cafe etc. Mainly taking photographs of people and they want to blur the back. </p>

<p>Thanks. </p>

<p>Just to throw another option into the pot take a long look at the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens. It has a great rebate right now and has DC = image stabilization. The image quality is at least as good as the Tamron.<br>

http://www.adorama.com/l/Lenses/Sigma~SLR-Lenses?sel=Zoom-Focal-Length_17-hyphen-50mm|Lens-Mount_Nikon<br>

Previously this lens was over $600. It is the one I would get. Good luck!</p>

<p>I'm far beyond a beginner, I use a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC for all my pro work. I actually dropped my first one, destroying it, and because the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS was a hundred cheaper and that the best lens I have is a Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS, I bought it. After about a year and half, I decided I didn't like it as much as the Tamron so about three weeks ago I traded in the Sigma for the Tamron. Glad I did, the Tamron is just better in my opinion.</p>

<p>Ray, yes the Tamron models from A16N onwards all have a BIM. In fact you'll be hard-pushed to find the old screwdriver model on sale anywhere today - reputedly it had faster AF on cameras that supported it!</p>

<p>I'd recommend the older non-VC A16NII model if VC isn't essential. All reviews and my own experience show that the VC model is optically inferior to its predecessor. The non-VC model can be got slightly more cheaply and is far more compact as well. Up against a 17-55mm f/2.8 Zoom-Nikkor there's very little to choose between it and the Tamron in image quality, but the Nikon lens is nearly twice the size and weight and nearly 5 times more expensive.</p>

<p>I have no personal experience of Sigma's 17-50mm offering, but my past experience with Sigma lenses tells me it won't come near the Tamron as far as IQ is concerned.</p>

<p>I looked at Tamron's website and they don't list the 17-50 mm f2.8 lens any more. but I have a copy of Tamron's 2015 brochure which shows two versions of the lens you considering (B005 and A16), but it doesn't make any kind of distinction. So I went to www.slrgear.com who evaulates varyous OEM and aftrmarket lenses, and they have a test of both vrsions. Near as I can tell, the V16 version has a focus motor within the lens that works with Nikon cameras that require that.<br /> Also. Try contacting Tamron at there website; www.tamron-usa.com to cofirm this about the Nikon mount vrsion.<br /> Apparently Rodeo Joe typs faster than me, so my response is redundant.</p>

<p>I repeat, ALL of the current models of Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 lens are G type lenses with a built-in motor. I have the non-VC A16 NII model. The retailer originally sent the VC version B005 by mistake, which I returned. So I've had my hands on both current versions and can definitely confirm that they have no screwdriver coupling, nor aperture ring. Either model will be totally compatible with a D3000.</p>

<p>Here's a link to Tamron's catalogue: http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/prod/assets/pdfs/spec_sheets/full_line_cat.pdf</p>

<p>And to their current lens lineup, which lists the two 17-50mm f/2.8 lens models mentioned above: http://www.tamron.eu/uk/lenses/</p>

<p>Edit: If all that's wanted is a blurred BG, then a simple 50mm f/1.8 AF prime might be a better choice. A 17-50 zoom will have to be used at the longer end to get nicely blurred backgrounds.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"yeah but there are plenty of older screwdrive versions still out in the wild."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But hardly any for sale Eric - I looked hard, and would rather have bought the old screwdriver version had I come across one in good used order or new. Nobody appears to have any new-old stock for sale at all. Besides, the new price is so low that buying used hardly saves you anything. Not enough to risk the inconvenience of having to return a poorly-described used item and have no warranty.</p>

<p>Thanks all.</p>

<p>Over here in NZ $220US. Well for a new one in the USA $650US (B&H) I think I rather get a used Nikon 17-55 at Keh.com for about the same price ;-) </p>

<p>Maybe not as sharp as my other Nikon lenses I don't have the 17-55 or the 24-70 but as a general initial thought. The twist is a bit firmer than normal and the noisy VC. But pretty good for a beginner. </p>