A Bird a Day While Q.G.'s Away

<p>Many members here have expressed concern that Q.G. de Bakker has been absent from Photo.net since early winter (mid February, I think). I've sent a few messages as well as emails, but the emails bounced back. Until recently I would occasionally see his name under the "who's online" tab under Community. <br>

He was one of several members who really helped keep the 365 day thread going last year. I especially enjoyed his bird photos. To honor his contributions I thought it would be nice for us to submit a bird photo of some sort every day for as long as we have photos. It's the modern equivalent, I suppose, of leaving a candle in the window like families and friends once did for soldiers who had gone to war. If you run out of bird photos look up some of Q.G.'s other posts and see if you have other images that might be nice to include.<br>

I'll start with a cardinal that I photographed with a Minolta SLR (probably my XD-5) and a Celestron 1000 mm f11 telescope.</p><div>00dwaI-563084384.jpg.b05954166e48978c2d86003e779d5d5e.jpg</div>

<p>From January 2011. I'm cheating a bit here as this is digital, not a classic manual <em>camera</em>; however, it was made with a very classic lens: the Super Takumar 135/3.5, bolted onto a Pentax K20D. When I saw a brilliant yellow bird against a very snow-whitened environment, I hastily ran outside with the camera to shoot, and quickly popped off a few shots. Before I could chimp the photos, he flitted away. When I looked at the result, to my dismay I noticed I had left the camera on in-camera black and white mode after having experimented with that setting days before. ARGGH!<br>

This is a rather close crop of the whole frame.<br>

<em>--Dave</em></p><div>00dxdN-563265284.jpg.a52b651c7559c4c99f71ce1620d19287.jpg</div>

<p>His name still shows up from time to time on "Who's Online" under the Community tab. Still a member, but maybe not a subscriber? The Hero icon is still by his name. Perhaps he is able to go online and visit, but for some reason is unable to post? </p>