HELP WITH MINOLTA SCANNER

<p>hey i recently bought a Minolta Multi Scan to scan in my negatives, i installed the SCSI card on my machine but the scanner is not detected when i turn it on, the scanner works fine n, i cant find a driver for the card for the software in using which is Windows 10, anyone have experience with this? please help looking forward to scan in my negs</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with your scanner. What scanning software are you using?<br>

There are two possibilities I know of<br>

1. the scanner driver that works with VueScan which can be downloaded seperately<br>

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/minolta.html#scanner-drivers<br>

2. drive booster from Iobit.com may find the necessary drivers for the card and scanner, have the scanner connected and turned on when scanning for drivers.<br>

the free version may have some bundled bloatware so check each page of the setup for check boxes before clicking Next.<br>

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php#</p>

<p>Welcome to the Windows 10 club and I don't mean that in a positive way in this case. I have a Nikon LS-8000 scanner and had a similar problem. Windows 10 would not or could not locate a driver for my Nikon Scan 4 software and scanner. It was suggested to download a trail version of Vuescan and leave it on. Then to try and run my scanner software. Worked like a charm and has been working ever since. I was almost tempted to revert back to a dual setup with Windows XP, but no need after the Vuescan trial download. </p>

<p>SCSI is its own little world.<br /> One thing on my older Mac where I have had scanners on SCSI is that you usually need to have the SCSI device powered up before booting the computer proper. Makes it much easier for the machine to find the other machine.<br /> There are other possible sources of problems. SCSI requires "termination" on certain connections.</p>

<p>However, I no longer have any SCSI devices (hooray! It was great when it was new, but newer interfaces like IEEE 1394 are less complicated), and the minute I pulled the SCSI cables, I immediately and completely forgot (security erased, so to speak) all my SCSI lore. So the above advice is at my current limit.</p>

<p>The advice about VueScan is good. For scanners where the original drivers. etc. no longer work, they can usually be controlled with VueScan. It's often better than the software that came with the scanner anyhow.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Mostly these scanners were designed in the Windows 2000 or XP days.</p>

<p>I don't quite know how they talk to SCSI devices, but you need the right device driver for the SCSI card, which might not exist for Win 10. </p>

<p>It is somewhat easier to get USB scanners running, but again you often need to run XP or W2K.<br>

I believe that USB can usually work with a virtual machine hosting XP, I am not so sure about doing that for SCSI scanners.</p>

-- glen

<p>Welcome to the joys of "secret" programming interfaces. Your scanner works only as long as the vendor deigns to update their software. You may need a dedicated computer (real or virtual) to run the scanner on the "last supported operating system."<br>

However, the SANE project has made some progress reverse-engineering Minolta scanners.<br>

But, as others have noted, SCSI is it's own little circle of hell.</p>

<p>Its fairly easy to Dual Boot Win 10 with older versions. 1st repartition your hard drive with a utility such as EaseUS Partition Master http://www.easeus.com/download/partition-manager.html and repartition your boot drive into two partitions. DO NOT delete any service partitions created by Windows 10 or the computer manufacturer. Cut the existing C partition down making the 2nd partition large enough for the second operating system and programs you plan to run on it. Windows built in partition manager will not work for the repartitioning. <br>

Load the boot media for the second OS, reboot and set bios to boot from the installation media be it CD or USB.<br>

When the install screen comes up select Custom Install then select the new partition you just created and install.<br>

It is advisable to create a backup of your HD before starting, EaseUS backup will do it.<br>

Once the second OS is installed then go to System Properties (Win 10, System in other OS), select the Advanced tab, select Startup and Recovery Settings and set the default operating system and time to display on screen. Your computer will now boot to the default OS after the specified time, pressing the enter key any time the OS selection screen is visible will immediately boot the default OS, or select the secondary OS with the mouse or keyboard to boot to it.</p>

<p>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/search?query=how%20to%20dual%20boot%20in%20Windows%2010</p>

<p>OEM installation disk cannot be used for dual booting the second OS.<br>

Only Microsoft retail disks or ISO downloaded from Microsoft's web site will work. The license number for OEM installation can be used with the ISO download.</p>

<p>I agree this thread should be moved to Digital Darkroom.</p>

<p>Moving files from one OS to the other may require administrator permission. Its easier to move from Win 10 to the older version. A second HD or external drive can be accessed from either OS without special permission. The active OS partition is always shown as C with the other windows partition as another drive letter probably D.</p>

<p>Before starting the dual boot process open device manager as see if the scanner is being acknowledged, it may show up as unknown device or unknown scanner. If the scanner is not shown check for the scsi card being recognized.</p>

<p>Hi Kavin, I have the Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro and it works very well with the Vuescan software, via both SCSI and Firewire 1394. For the SCSI connection I maintain a dedicated PC running Windows XP. If your unit has a Firewire port try that with the Vuescan. If not, you might try putting an XP system together for the SCSI card. You can do this really cheaply as you do not need a high-end system. There are a ton of used PC's that can be had for very little cost. I realize that this seems inconvenient but it might be the only way to go for that SCSI connection (or do as Mr. Andrews suggest and get a Mac). My XP system is headache free and will run the original Minolta software as well as Vuescan. Regards.</p>