500el/m not cocking

chris_robertson6

<p>I recently bought a 500 elm body on eBay and when it arrived the mirror was in up position, rear shutters closed, and no batteries. I purchased a 9v adapter and inserted into body and nothing happens. i can press the shutter button and hear a click inside but that is all, nothing moves. I turned the screw through the back shutter, it has tension, and mirror will come down but when i release it goes back up. i thought i could cock the body by turning this screw but that is not the case. I've read every post i can find regarding the el's but i haven't seen this problem. I put a film back on and still the same.<br>

I got the camera cheap and as is but the owner said all he thought it needed was batteries. Did i just buy a doorstop? i was really looking forward to using this camera. I have a 500c that I love but I couldn't pass up the EL for such a reasonable price. Any help is greatly appreciated.<br>

I live in Alabama and there are no camera repair shops within 200 miles. I need an expert to look at it but I'm afraid it may not be worth the cost of repair if its something serious. Any ideas?</p>

<p>thanks, Chris in Alabama</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the specifics of the ELM, but I have an ELF which appears to be similar in my handbook. There is a large knob on the right side of the camera with three positions. The center is for normal operation, where the mirror returns to the viewing position when the camera is cocked. To one side, the mirror is raised (locked up) prior to the shutter release, then returned to the viewing position afterwards. This is a momentary setting. In the other direction, the mirror returns to the locked up position immediately after the camera is cocked. This is a click setting that remains until you return the knob to the center position.</p>

<p>There is also a 3-position lever near the bottom of the right side labeled T/O/L, standing for "time (exposure)", "operate" and "locked". It must be in the "O" position to operate the camera normally.</p>

<p>I'm referring to "Hasselblad System Compendium" by Richard Nordin, 1998.</p>