Canon 24-105 f/4L IS II

Dave410

<p>Hey Gang,</p>

<p>Does anybody have any intel on the new 24-105 II that is supposed to be released later this month? Or can you point me to a review by someone who has actually tested it? I've been doing some homework and all I can find are reviewers who say "We haven't seen it yet, but it's gonna be great!" (Sounds like a Trump policy, but I digress.) I'm particularly interested in sharpness. I owned the old 24-105 for awhile and it was a perfect walk around lens, but it was awfully soft, so I sold it. I would be a happy camper if the new lens was really sharp.</p>

<p>Just to stir the pot a little, I upgraded to the 5DIII and 24-70 f/2.8 II awhile back and it's a wonderful camera and lens combination, but I sure do miss image stabilization on the lens. It would be great if the new 24-105 was as sharp as the 24-70 and have IS to boot. Okay, "as sharp" might be a pipe dream, considering the physics and the price, but "really sharp" might be possible.</p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Dave</p>

<p>PS Here's a fun picture I took in Antigua, Guatemala last month. I saw this woman walking carefully down the cobblestone sidewalk and paid her a small amount to pose. I assume she was selling orchids because she had one in each hand and a whole bunch more in the basket balanced on her head.</p>

<div>00eBfp-565947584.jpg.9b3905906232953e3c6eb2a6ec7b19ad.jpg</div>

<p>When it does come out, you can get in line to try it at <a href="https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/normal-range/canon-24-105mm-f4l-is-ii?gclid=CLraj7ua5c8CFdKFfgodvx4Kcg">LensRentals </a>.<br /> I, personally, have not any sign that it is "pre-released", but what do I know?</p>

<p>I have the old one and it's a gem for just plain handiness--the best one-lens traveling companion I know of for a 35mm-sensor Canon. I can accept the contradictions for the sake of the utility.</p>

<p>4-stops of IS. Need I say more? Mine's on order.</p>

<p>BTW, you should be shooting Raw and using Digital Lens Optimization, if you want to get the most out of your zoom lenses. I was ready to send my 24-105mm back, then I discovered DLO and it "fixed" the lens.</p>

<p>Thanks, guys. I bookmarked that review and I'll read it carefully tomorrow. I loved the versatility of the 24-105 when I owned it, but it was just too soft, even after I sent it back to Canon for a tune up.</p>

<p>I use the lens correction feature in Lightroom. Is that what you mean by DLO? There is an onboard lens correction feature in the 5DIII, but I assume that only works for JPEGs and I always shoot RAW.</p>

<p>Many thanks for the compliment on my image.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Dave</p>

<p>It's probably a good lens. Personally I prefer a faster lens in this range for background blurring and freezing action, but 70-105mm would be useful. A 24-105mm f2.8 would be great, but I assume that this is not done because it would be prohibitively large, particularly if it has IS. No doubt Sigma will be making one soon and it will weight 1700 g. The Zeiss Otus version will be 3000 g.</p>
Robin Smith

<cite>I use the lens correction feature in Lightroom. Is that what you mean by DLO?</cite>

<p>I'm not familiar with Lightroom so I don't know if that feature is comparable, but my guess is they're two different things. DLO doesn't merely correct for things like vignetting and chromatic aberration; it can in many cases undo softness inherent in the lens. There's a bit more info on it, including a quote from Canon with a sort-of explanation of what it does, on <a href="http://www.p4pictures.com/2012/05/improving-image-quality-with-digital-lens-optimiser-in-dpp/" target="_blank">this page</a>.</p>

<p>If you haven't tried it, it might be worth your time to give it a shot on a few of your images. Process the image in Lightroom as you usually do, then process the same RAW file in DPP using DLO. It's probably best to avoid doing much in the way of tonal manipulation because it will be difficult for someone who's familiar with the controls of one program to achieve comparable results in a different, unfamiliar program. But look at the parts of the image where you find the lens didn't perform well and see how DPP's version with DLO compares to Lightroom's.</p>

<p>Thanks for the DLO tip Steve. I downloaded the latest version of DPP and can see a difference using DLO with my images shot with my 5D II using a 24-105 L lens. More noticeably, it improves the quality of images shot with my older 17-35mm f:2.8 L lens, especially with reducing chromatic aberration for images shot with short focal lengths and wide apertures. My older version of DPP that came with my 5D II did a good job, but this version does better. One nice feature of the new DPP is that under tools, you can transfer the corrected image directly to Photoshop (I use CS5) for further editing.</p>