Monday in Nature August 8, 2016

Laura Weishaupt

<p>This is an intimidating thread to jump in to, given the phenomenal photos that everyone here keeps posting (inspiring!), but I couldn't resist the spore theme. I found these on a coast redwood trunk last week. I'm guessing this is the British soldier lichen, Cladonia cristatella (named for the fungal half of the relationship, which is what's producing the red spore capsules). [and a non-sequitur: I'm going to be having nightmares about your late-lamented lens, Laura]</p><div>00e5Zi-564800984.jpg.fe0d46c38c4f6b059a161db2746e4f11.jpg</div>

<p>Leslie,<br>

Welcome to MiN. Please, don't feel intimidated. This is a pretty warm and welcoming community. Someone around here can answer just about any question regarding nature and nature photography. Very talented and creative folks hang out here. Everyone has something to offer.</p>

<p>As for the lens, well, I went back to the scene of the mayhem and made my peace with the lens killing rocks. But, in mountainous terrain gear travels in the back pack......always. I keep the photo as a reminder.</p>