raw converter

damo75

<p>The D810 needs ACR plugin 8.6, or Lightroom 5.6.<br>

<br />I don't know about Elements, but current is Elements 14 now. You may need it.</p>

<p>You could download the free raw to DNG converter,<br>

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows<br>

and your current ACR version should open the DNG, and operate the same way.</p>

<p>If Elements 12 won't open your D810 raw files, then you need a new version of Elements to get the capability - Adobe no longer offers free updates to its Elements products to accommodate newer cameras that come along after introducing a version of Elements (they use to, years ago, but no more).</p>

<p>The converter you need depends on your preferences for what you want the converter to do. A current version of ViewNX would allow you to convert raw to tif, but with little capability to make adjustments in the conversion process. And as already stated, you can get a free raw to dng converter. Either would allow you to convert a raw file to one that Elements 12 can read, allowing you to then make whatever adjustments you prefer. When I bought my D610, the version of Elements I had at the time wouldn't read the 610's raw files, so I used ViewNX to convert to tif and then edited in Elements. But Elements has a pretty good assortment of adjustments available during its conversion process, and I missed it. So I bought the newest version of Elements (13 at that time) - it's my preferred way to do conversions.</p>

<p>As you can see on <a href="https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html">this Adobe support page</a>, you will need an upgrade of PS Elements to use ACR 8.6 - PSE12 only goes up to ACR 8.5.<br>

Bob's suggestion is worth trying too, though, but get Capture NX-D alongside. ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D are both free, and do quite good raw conversions (with all the basics you also have in Adobe Camera Raw as it works in PS Elements). Export a TIFF file, and work on that in PS Elements 12. It would save a bit of money; frankly, the new functionalities introduced each year with Elements tend to be more and more underwhelming, so realistically, PSE12 is still more than fine for most.</p>

<p>I know Lightroom and Photoshop are popular programs, but I always thought Nikon Capture NX gave better looking straight raw conversions than the Adobe PS CS I had, at least back in the D1 and D2 era. </p>

<p>I am using the free Nikon NX-D now to convert D810 raw files, which works OK for that purpose.</p>