Pentax MX again

<p>I was going to use the subject line, "In search of the mythical Pentax MX that doesn't have flash sync problems", but I thought that would be too long. I posted here some time ago a Pentax MX I had that had flash sync issues. It would flash at shutter speeds above 1/60, but not below. It was the second MX that I had owned, and neither could be used with flash. A few days ago I found a nice looking black MX at a thrift store along with a sigma 35-70 zoom and Sears 135/2.8. The shutter speeds all seem to work fine and the lenses are clean. As soon as I got home , I tried out a flash on it and nothing happened. It will not work with the flash attached to the shoe or the pc connection. I have used many classic slr's, including Pentaxes, but have never had this problem with any other. I was just wondering if there are others who have the same problems with their MX's. I really like them except for the problems I have had with all 3 that I have owned.</p>

<p>I'm not a MX owner and never was, but as good as Pentax was at making cameras and lenses it's highly unlikely of there being any cutout circuit. I have owned many Spotmatics, K1000's and three ME and ME Super's and can't remember flash sync problems. Did you try more than one flash on that last black MX? You never know...................?</p>

<p>I have tried several flashes on it. I currently have a K1000 and a Spotmatic and they work fine. I have had several other manual Pentax cameras in the past and the MX is the only model I have had issues with. If not for the sync issues, the MX's would be my all time favorite pentax. I don't use flash much, but it's nice to have when needed.</p>

<p>At one time I owned 5 of these, and never had a problem with flash sync and I used either studio flash or Vivitar 285's for most of the work that I did with them, so I am at a loss to explain your problem. I'm sure you've tried cleaning the hot shoe connection with a pencil eraser, but if you haven't I would give that a try. PC connections can accumulate dust and dirt in them, so blowing those out with compressed air might also be useful. On my cameras, there was no X sync cut out above 1/60, as I found out a few times to my chagrin...</p>

<p><em>At one time I owned 5 of these, and never had a problem with flash sync and I used either studio flash or Vivitar 285's for most of the work that I did with them, so I am at a loss to explain your problem.</em><br>

At one time (when they were new) 70s and 80s Pentaxes worked great. However, in my experience, the chances of finding one today with electronics working accurately are very low. I tried 4 examples of an ME Super, metering totally unreliable. Pentax for a very long time had a lack of product management, they didn't know who they were making cameras for and ended up making some great lenses, along with some quite awful zooms, while their camera bodies were under-specified and simply not tough or durable enough for professional use. </p>

<p>The MX, as you probably know, was a totally mechanical camera with the exception of the light meter. I would completely agree that a lot of early electronically controlled cameras from most brands, including Pentax, are past their life span and almost impossible to repair due to lack of circuit boards, etc. I used my MX bodies professionally for 10-15 years and essentially wore them out with only a couple of repairs over that time. Two of them were passed on to other people who got several years of light use out of them before they weren't worth repairing due to the onset of digital photography. They were replaced by 4 LX bodies that likewise were used heavily and only required one repair to the frame counter on one body. I still have two of them that work perfectly to this day. Post LX, I would agree with you that Pentax wasn't making cameras for the professional market. Since I wasn't interested in auto exposure/auto focus, that didn't bother me in the least. The prime lenses, as you say, were top notch and I still use some of them on my Pentax K3's with good results.</p>

<p>Like <em><strong>Les S.</strong></em> indicates with the supplied link, the Pentax MX has three simple <strong>mechanical</strong> switches.<br /> Cleaning these contacts <strong>and/or</strong> adjusting their positions should correct the issue (1st try the baseplate accessible one).<br />Complex triggering via the flex/board electronics isn't used or needed here...</p>

<p>Thanks for the thread!<br>

I dug out 1 MX, charged a flash and wow! The 1st attempt failed but from the 2nd click the flash fired while I worked through the shutter speeds. <br>

Next step was trying out my Ricoh KR 5 and a huge disappointment: The flash only fired very erratically. A Practica synced at 1st attempt but has apparently issues with the long shutter speeds and the KX is doing just fine. <br>

Lesson learned: It seems indeed wise to check flash sync whenever one loads a fresh roll. - I considered that advice exaggerated before this thread. <br>

If I loved an elderly camera, I'd invest into a CLA when needed. - My M3 had sync issues although the shutter was still working and I had it fixed locally. </p>