Fuji hybrid viewfinders

<p>Hi all ...</p>

<p>I had a try out with a tradeshow recently. Want to check with you guys. Re: the X Pro 2 - with the electronic viewfinder is it WYSIWYG? It also has a white square in the centre as people move into the frame? With the optical viewfinder it's not WYSIWYG right but does is there a white square under this mode also? </p>

<p>With the XT-1 is the white square available? </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Hi Ray. I think I may know what you're asking about. I have a Fuji XT1 and am loving it and slowly getting used to all it's features. It does have a hybrid viewfinder. The white square in the center does come up when you want to suspend the WYSIWYG function. This is useful when you want to use off-camera flash for all your lighting and want the ambient to be all black.<br>

To get there you must be in manual mode. Then, go to SET-UP>SCREEN SET-UP>PREVIEW EXP/WB IN MANUAL MODE>PREVIEW WB. <br>

It took me<em> forever </em>to figure this out. Finally I found a book that you might also find helpful (if you purchase the XT1). It's <strong>The Fuji-film X-T1 111 Expert Tips to get the most out of your camera</strong> by Rico Pfirstinger. I found mine on Amazon. <br>

Good luck with your purchasing decision!</p>

<p>Hi Amy et al,<br>

The X T-1 does NOT have a hybrid finder. You may be slightly misunderstanding the term. A hybrid viewfinder is defined as the combination of an electronic and optical finder, switchable, in the same camera as in the X Pro 1 and 2 as well as the X100S & T. All EVF's are what you call "WYSIWYG," that's how they are designed. I'm afraid I have no clue what you are talking about regarding the "white square." The only white square I see is the adjustable indicator of the focus point. In my experience it does not move when people enter the frame. Perhaps the OP is referring to the face detection system, but it's not clear. In manual focus mode one can show a smaller magnified part of the view on the right for more accurate manual focusing. This is not an optical view but rather a portion of the electronic finder. The X T-1 is a moderately complex camera with many menu options. It takes some study to learn all of its options and choices. I too have Mr Pfirstinger's book and often refer to it when I have a question. Good luck. The X T-1 is a terrific camera.</p>

<p>White square - what I mean is does it have the rangefinder framing square? You see the edge of the viewfinder which is outside of what is photographed as the person walks in the frame you can take the photo. With the film cameras what I understand is that, if you put a wide angle lens the frame lines covers more the VF surface area, if you pop on a telephoto lens the frames is more narrow .... Make sense? </p>

<p>Thanks Ray for helping me understand what your real question was. Andy L has it right, all EVF's are 100% finders, showing precisely what will be in the frame and no more. To see what is beyond the frame, take your eye from the finder. Ray is referring to what my rangefinder Leica M3 and Mamiya 7 have, frame lines which showed the view for the longer lenses. With those you could see beyond what the lens actually captures. Actually it was quite a pain to use, at least for my purposes, and they were not always terribly accurate. I like to fill the view with what I'm photographing. The X T-1 and similar mirrorless cameras such as the Sony A7 series, are "live view" through the finder but so much easier than the live view on my Nikon D800E. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.</p>