DIY Large Format Cameras

eric_m4

<p>Don't know if anyone is aware of this site but I stumbled upon it looking for DIY Large Format cameras such as the old Bender kits : </p>

<p>http://www.bulldogcameras.com/. </p>

<p>Does anyone have any experience with this company? B&H use to carry them also but I'm not sure if they're still in business anymore. Their website states "they are currently undergoing maintenance". I wanted to get a Bender 4x5 or maybe even the 8x10 kit but Jay Bender retired several years ago - I think in 2008. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Unless the idea of building your own camera is really important to you, I think it would be a lot more cost effective to look into a used monorail 4x5. There are lots of them available at reasonable prices, and unlike some wooden cameras, they will lock up tight and support heavy lenses. Toyo, Cambo and many others are readily found for $200 and less, and lots of accessories such as compendium shades, bag bellows, etc. are out there also. Be aware that with large format photography the camera body is just the beginning, and frequently it is the least expensive item that you will buy. You will also need a sturdy tripod, lens(es), a good light meter, holders and film. And then there is processing--if you're paying a good lab $4 or 5 per sheet for B&W developing, it adds up fast.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unless the idea of building your own camera is really important to you...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's exactly it. I've been shooting LF on and off for the last twenty years so I'm aware of the expenses involved. I just like the idea of building one from a kit, preferably an 8x10, if available. I actually built a 4x5 from Bender about 15 years ago, and you're right, it is not as good as a toyo, cambo, etc... but it's something the weekend woodworker in me really enjoys. But I agree with everything you said as far as someone trying to get the most bang for the buck.</p>

<p>Eric,<br>

through a strange series of coincidences I can answer your question. I happened to read your post yesterday, though I don't normally look into the large format section. Then today, while searching for something else I came across your Bulldog kits on the big auction site (UK). I am not sure I can post the links here (please remove if against forum rules).<br>

<a href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulldog-5x4-Self-Assembly-Large-Format-Camera-Kit-/231969859245?hash=item36027b26ad:g:F5QAAOSwo0JWJQ~s">4 x 5</a><br>

<a href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulldog-8x10-Self-Assembly-Large-Format-Camera-Kit-/231977719548?hash=item3602f316fc:g:mKsAAOSwqrtWn3t5">8 x 10</a><br>

Just to make it clear I have no connection with the vender, nor have I ever dealt with them - so the usual cautions apply.<br>

Hope it is what you are looking for.</p>

<p>Laurie</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for these links Laurie & Eric. The pictures of the kit content in the eBay listing radiate a lot of confidence. - I'm handling similar laser cut plywood plates at work and am pretty confident that actually assembling the kit will be a piece of cake especially compared to the challenges you'd face with certain European furniture kits. If you want to produce something beautiful getting rid of the charrng from cutting will demand a bit of sanding though. - A ready made bellows should make things quite easy. - homebrew bellows were quite a nightmare when I read up about them back in the days of Bender.<br>

The Bulldog 8x10" doesn't look very portable to me. - The rear seems rigidly mounted onto the flatbed? Also plywood must be heavier than natural wood. - Anyhow I guess an 8x10" is never really portable. - I have an old 13x18cm tourist camera which I got after realizing the bulk of my monorail. - I'll have to rework the back someday; previous owners made a quick cheap dirty conversion to tin plate holders (with optional film sheaths). <br>

So if it floats your boat go for it and have your fun... <br>

I suppose if I ever really get going in LF, I'll hunt down more antique real wood.</p>

<p>I agree with Mr. Gillis. I built a 4X5 decades ago, and have several manufactured LF cameras. Unless you need something specialized, a commercial camera is almost always more cost-effective. (My favorite film camera is a Mamiya Press that I modified to 6X12 format with a 50mm lens--about as wide as you can get with out "fish eye" distortion.)<br>

Figure out what kind of photography you want to do, then get the hardware to match. I do a lot of panorama photography. For example, I got a Calumet 4X5 camera, mounted a sliding Nikon adapter to the film holder area, and put on a D3200 digital body. This gives me a 96 megapixel image with all of the swing, tilt, etc. adjustments of the traditional view camera and the convenience of a digital camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>hi eric<br>

i know of a couple of people who built and enjoyed the camera. i've been building cameras for <br>

a handful of years, even barrel lenses, and film/plate/paper holders. its a lot of fun. </p>

<p>good luck !</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Putting cost aside, building a camera, of any format, is an experiance that has its own rewards.<br>

Personally I never liked any of the camera kits on the market, but that is me. There always seems to be one short coming or another depending on the maker of the kit. So far I haven't seen a kit that has all I want in a camera, for that matter I haven't seen too many pre-builts that have it all either.<br>

I think there are two ways to get what one wants in a camera. 1) modify, 2) build from scratch. Well, maybe one other, have one custom built for you.<br>

There is a lot of things to take into consideration when building a camera besides what you want it to do. What materials you want to use, camera functions, where it is going to be used, construction techneques, special tools you might need and so on. The nice thing is there really is no limit to what and how you build.<br>

If you find a kit that has what you want I would say, before building, learn what you can about the materials so you don't paint yourself into a corner, so to speak.<br>

I am saying this with the experience of building and modifying cameras for others on a one off basis. Every one I do is done to just what the photographer wants and needs not to what model I have to offer.<br>

There is no better feeling, when out shooting, then using "your own camera" regardless of what it is.<br>

Good luck and most of all have fun and learn some new things.</p>