Kirk BH-3 ball head vs. others?

rex_gooch

I plan to purchase a Gitzo lightweight carbon fiber tripod, possibly

the 1228. I need a medium size ball head and I am considering the

Kirt BH-3 or possibly one of the Gitzo medium ball heads. I would

appreciate your comments on an appropriate head for the Gitzo carbon

fiber tripod.

I am currently looking into a similiar setup. Gitzo 1227 with Kaiser med pro, Linhof Profi II or Kirk BH-3. The Arca Swiss B-1 is a little heavier and bigger which may start the setup top heavy. The Kirk has a QR clamp which the other 2 needs additionally if you're going to standardize with the Arca Swiss B-1 sytle plates. I recently purchased a Kirk QR-1 and plate and found them to be excellent in construction. I would expect the same of the BH-3 ballhead. The Gitzo QR heads require Gitzo plates and they don't have an anti-twist feature like the Arca Swiss style plates.

Having an Arca Swiss style clamp and plate ballhead makes mounting all my cameras a snap in the field if you're carrying more than one body. But this requires you to purchase a plate for every camera you own.

I'd highly recommend the Markins Ballhead. It uses Arca Swiss plates and is incredibly well made, lighter than a Kirk or Arca Swiss head and about $100 cheaper. I've been using mine with 35mm equipment up to a 500mm f4.5 and Pentax 6X7 equipment.

Doug

• 1 year later...

I use the BH-3 ball head with a Gitzo 1325 tripod and it�s a super combination. I chose the BH-3 rather than the larger BH-1 to cut down on weight. The BH-3 lives up to the manufacturers claim, and can genuinely support a lens combo up to 300mm f2.8. Unless you use this sort of lens (I don�t) there is no reason to carry the excess weight.

I chose the 1325 as I find the smaller Gitzo carbon fiber tripods to be rather flimsy, expensive toys that, contrary to the manufacturer�s claims, do not properly support a medium lens, tc and flash.