Mamiya RZ67 Focusing Wide Open Tips

kevifain

<p>Hi everybody,<br>

I recently bought a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II with a couple of lenses. I'm already in love with it.<br>

I mostly shoot portraits. Last week I wanted to shoot portraits wide-open, but I found it very hard to focus exactly on the eyes. I was wondering how some of you guys nail focus when shooting portraits wide-open. Most of my photos that came out were out of focus. I tried to focus on the eyes, but I focused 0.2inch further or closer. I'm not blaming my Mamiya, I'm sure it's me. I just can't tell if I'm focusing exactly right. When I for example focus on the eyes with the focusing knob, and then fine tune with the fine focus knob I can't see that much difference. Maybe my eyes aren't trained to focus exactly, but it's like I'm "guessing" the right focus. I'm not 100% sure, even when I use the magnifier.<br>

Do you guys have any suggestions? Are there other focusing screens that are easier to focus with? Or other advice?<br>

Many thanks!</p>

I'm 55 and the eyes ain't what they used to be. Even with the (most) correct diopter in the hood, I'm still a bit off. The only

thing that works for me is the rangefinder focus screen. It's a Mamiya 212-427 screen. They can be found on eBay or

other sites. It works magic for older eyes.