Church / No photographers allowed

luis_modesti

<p>At a recent first communion at our church, there was a sign at the door asking for no photography during the service. </p>

<p>(Or it might have been confirmation. I suspect confirmation is a more solemn ceremony.)</p>

<p>The church had hired a photographer to photograph each first communicant. After, families could take all the group or individual pictures they wanted.</p>

<p>If you talk to the priest, they may either already have one, or be ready to hire you for it.</p>

-- glen

These are two instances from my own experience doing weddings in the past where the photographer was

placed between a rock and a hard place as the clients wishes about photography differed from the officiant. I

did quite a few weddings at an oceanside inn where I took pictures of during outdoor ceremonies. One

protestant minister forbade photography during the ceremony. The bride was adamant in wanting those

pictures. She was one of those very nice clients that one would like to please if at all possible. The Minister

was quite rude and hostile to both of us about this issue. I crawled into a bush some distance away from the

actual ceremony where I could not be seen with a 70-200 2.8L and took quite a few pictures. Some of the

departing guests were surprised to see me crawling out of the bush in my suit and tie.

The bride was highly pleased with the results and we maintained contact for quite a while after the wedding.

The second was in a Catholic church where I got specific priest permission to take a couple of pictures

during the ceremony. I took two and he angrily waved me away I think because I may have stepped in front

of the first row of guests. Who do you please? In both cases the client really wanted the pictures. When I

did weddings I was also working for a newspaper and my editor expected me to come back with pictures not

excuses in much harsher situations where I did have to elbow my way into position at times. In other

weddings I was allowed to shoot during the ceremony without issue. I would otherwise abide with the

decision of the oficiant and did a few weddings ex post facto after the ceremony.

<p>Work with the client and the officiating clergy. Everybody has a camera these days and not everybody has manners. And if every family hired a pro, there would be space as well as equity issues. I don't think the client is likely to have a lot of flexibility in choosing an alternative location. From the outside looking in, first communion in the Roman Catholic church is often a group event, perhaps school grade or at least a certain age group related event and going to another parish for that specific event is likely to be awkward and perhaps not any more likely to have a different clerical response. <br>

Aside from the individual and group shots on the steps, etc., it would seem to me the key moments are the actual communion and that would require shooting from the side or front - a location which is not usually open to non-participants. Certainly flash from there would be disruptive and repeated flash or movement would be really noticeable.</p>

<p>Good luck, you may be trying to tread where others have trod before.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>If there are (say) 30 pupils taking part of the first communion, and if all of their families had a photographer there wouldn't be anything to see except children surrounded by photographers. The audience wouldn't see anything. Forbidding photography makes perfect sense. Sometimes at these events, photography is allowed from your seat, i.e. as long as you don't move from your position in the audience.</p>