Why is it so hard to find focusing screens?

patrick_regan1

<p>Hello fellow Hasselblad V-series/500 enthusiasts,<br>

<br />I'd really like to swap out my Acute Matte focusing screen for an Acute Matte D 42215. Trouble is I can't find more than one on ebay, none currently on KEH, and <em>maybe</em> one on another website (which looks out of date). So, two total to choose from for the entire internet? Am I overlooking some secret source for focusing screens or Hasselblad toys? Why are these (not just the 42215, but other quality screens) so hard to find? It took me surprisingly little time to find a quality 501c kitted with two lenses for a darn good price - locally, via Craigslist - and yet finding a screen is almost impossible.<br>

Any advice is appreciated.</p>

<p>Quality screens weren't very popular in their days.<br>

Who bought one and sold their kit was probably not willing to dig for the box holding the original screen (typically misplaced in a remote drawer 15 years or more ago,<em> before</em> they moved houses...) and sold the camera "as is". <br>

If heirs are selling the gear they usually know nothing and just push it into the bay or try to trade it in at a brick & mortar store. <br>

And if "smart" everything & the kitchen sink sellers offer a screen according to the case's label they frequently don't know they are selling a removed default screen. <br>

I'm not familiar with Hasselblad but I'd guess if possible even the default Acute Mattes got transplanted into heritage cameras? - They'd be worth it...</p>

<p>The quick answer? Supply and demand. Demand for used MF gear is probably steady, but the supply, precipitated by the digital revolution, has largely dried up.</p>

<p>Older bodies, like the 500cm, are extremely popular and affordable. However the original screen is relatively dark. Most purchases swapped it out for an Acute-Matte screen at the earliest opportunity (I snagged at least three).</p>

<p>The Acute Matte D's were only produced during the last models of the V series, so their total numbers are small. They were a significant price increase for a subtle improvement, so not many people upgraded, and most pro's preferred the plain 42204 rather then the currently desirable 42215.</p>

<p>There has always been a 42215 available on that auction site, but the price reflects the availability.</p>

"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

<p>I guess the law of supply and demand can't be argued. I was crossing my fingers that one of you guys would tell me about some secret stash of screens to be had for pennies. Oh, well. I guess I'll thin out my wallet a bit on ebay!</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Unfortunately Edward is dead on with his comment. The Acute Matte D screens came out later in the V system lineup. The H system was introduced around that time and it was highly marketed.<br>

Hasselblad was selling off the original Acute-Matte Screens to make way for the newer D screen. I am also looking for a NEW #42110 for its circular "Sweet Spot" marker on the screen. This screen can be used on the 205TCC &FCC, 203FE, & 202FA for its metering system.</p>

<p>However I was told that ALL Acute-Matte D Screen will work in these 200 series metering cameras.</p>