Need to Replace D300/D300S Dual Rubber Terminal Cap/Cover

gulfbeach47

<p>Original rubber part broke off my D300. Nikon says the D300S part is the same as D300. It sells for only $2.80 cents, but they have been out of stock for a few weeks and could not tell me when they will get them in again. http://parts.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-parts/d300s-sync%252f10-pin-rubber-cap.html<br /><br />Have searched until my neck hurts and the best deal I could find was $15.00 at an online site and that is too much of a markup.<br /><br />Until Nikon gets the part in, I was thinking of buying a pair (or two) of these inexpensive caps, but some get bad reviews due to poor fit, quality etc.. Has anyone ever tried the caps? If so, can you recommend a legitimate seller in the USA? I found a set for $5.00 but that I will go with if no better suggestions. <br /><br /><br />Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I can see maybe wanting to protect the more delicate 10-pin socket but the sync contacts on my F2 bodies have been uncovered for 40 years and it hasn't hurt anything. I don't think a few weeks of waiting is likely going to hurt anything. If you're worried, put a piece of gaffer tape over the contacts.</p>

<p>Years ago I found that black hard plastic screw in terminal caps held up better and IMHO provided better protection than the fancy rubber covers. I haven't changed the original covers on my D300, because it has held up, but when it goes, I'll put on the screw on caps.</p>

<p>Have you tried supergluing the broken cap back together John? Superglue can repair rubber stronger than the original.</p>

<p>WRT the screw caps: A pair of screw-in P-C and 10 pin-terminal covers can be had for around $5 from Ebay or the like. And I'd agree they look to be a better solution. The only issue would be if there's sufficient clearance for a screw-in cover on the 10 pin socket. I just looked at my D800 and the socket is very close to the curved camera panel adjacent to it. It would be fiddly and awkward to get a cap in there I fear. It's bad enough trying to screw in the extended and knurled part of a 10-pin accessory plug.</p>

<p>Hi Gang, I appreciate the feedback. I also posted this same thread at another photo community and someone recommended a store in the USA which claims to be the worlds largest online camera parts store. I had never heard of them, but they have a very large inventory of camera parts at their website. I found what appears to be the genuine Nikon part at their website. The part and shipping appears to be only $9.18 cents, but I sent them a question to confirm that is was the genuine Nikon part but did not get a reply, so I will have to wait until Monday, unless someone comes across a better price.<br /> I want to post the name of the company and see if any of you have ever dealt with them, but I'm concerned that I would be breaking a Pnet rule. The company has been in business for over 25 years and got good ratings at resellerratings.<br /><br /><br />Frank- Thanks for the tip. I tried putting another small item in my cart just to see shipping and sure enough it was also $9.50. Ridiculous!<br /><br />Craig- The 10 pin socket is my main concern, but I want both covered. I live on the gulf coast and deal with a lot of salt spray, plus occasional trips to the desert and dusty areas. I also do a lot of night pics, so I depend on the 10 pin socket a lot. The rubber caps broke off a couple of months ago, so I have been only using my other D300 when at the beach. I have had my share of electronic problems with my Nikons, so I prefer to keep them covered. <br /><br />Stephen- I was curious if those hard plastic screws easy to deal with, especially at night.. in the cold… on the beach? I'm figuring I would be dropping the screw and losing it. That is why I was gonna order two pair if I went that route, until I got another rubber part.<br /><br />Rodeo Joe- Thanks for the super glue tip, but the covers are gone. I don't know where they broke off or I would try your suggestion. I love to save money:)<br />What about the "bottom cover rubber" where the quick release plate attaches to bottom of camera? The rubber is starting to curl. I was gonna order one of those from the same company, since they are $6.32 for a genuine Nikon part. Some of those off brand bottom rubber covers come with a sticky side. I cannot tell if the Nikon part does, but kind of worried about using super glue to try and fix old bottom cover rubber and botching the repair. <br />I know what you mean about clearance for a screw-in cover. I finally got a wireless remote that I am very happy with, but it is tight squeeze when screwing into the 10 pin socket.</p>

<p>I understand u wanting to make it feel special with all genuine parts but I can tell you that all 3 F5 cameras i used in brutal conditions outdoors and in with weddings and now my d3 d3s have no covers. The ports always work.</p>

<p>I remember then wanting everything nice and perfect and i simply bought these plastic cobers for the f5's then that were a few dollars and they were awesome. Today theyre even less money.</p>

<p>Youre hanging on something that you dont need to spend so much time effort or money on. Just like body caps and lens caps front and back. I have more aftermarket caps then original in my bag with 6 lenses. They work really good and are inexpensive and i use my gear more than anyone here. My d3 and d3s have done over 600000 clicks each</p>

<p>Mine have been through hell and back and there are no covers on both cameras. The rubber is not there. And the ports ALWAYS work </p>

<p>Goto ebay. Type d300 cap port and order the cheapest one there. It will more than do the job. I, like craig never had a port not work</p>

• 2 weeks later...