Classic Manual Camera Weekend, August 12

<p>Already it's the 12th in some time zones so let's begin our weekend thread. Three (more or less) images from your classic or hybrid classic film camera. Invitation to post extra(s) in our 365 day thread. <br>

I'll start with three of mine.<br>

My first one is from 1993 but has never been posted. In April of that year we closed our family camera shop. My first image show's my dad taking down the shop sign.</p><div>00e5hk-564822184.jpg.a37e120acc6c5a0340d404564448b918.jpg</div>

<p>Third image. Although I bought this camera and lens on the used market a few years back, we did used to stock them: the Minolta XE-5 and XE-7 (don't remember which one I used) and the Minolta MD 300mm f5.6. I probably posted this one last year or one similar. Or it might be from my XE-1 which we never sold since it was the European version. Essentially the same as XE-7 as far as features go.</p><div>00e5ht-564822584.jpg.6e85975a6d5d4d818c05df970ce0016b.jpg</div>

<p>Finally got to process some shots from Eastern Europe. This is with Smen 8N Formapan 100. Scanning with Silverfast gave a superior image than Vuescan. There are some decorative snowflakes hanging which I do not remember At first I thought they were some form of weird crystallization from processing. </p><div>00e5ik-564824384.jpg.753ce3a37cc3f96c2c279b6b45f490ad.jpg</div>

<p>Closing the store must have been a sad moment, <strong>Mike</strong>. Someday you must tell us about it. Here are three images from a Bronica ETRs using the 150mm Zenzanon MC f/3.5 lens. The film was Ilford HP5 Plus developed in PMK Pyro and scanned on an Epson V700 scanner using Silverfast software.</p><div>00e5k0-564827884.jpg.7dd63955b2533cad9d9e0216659a01b9.jpg</div>

<p>This is our family's brand, shiny new 1963 Dodge Dart convertible, with the 270 cubic-inch slant six engine and pushbutton automatic transmission. It's the car I learned to drive in.</p>

<p>Shot with Yashica Mat LM on Ektachrome, home processed (I believe it would have been E-2 at that time), and trimmed down to superslide size because we liked to project slides. I remember having an empty superslide readymount that I dropped onto the ground glass when shooting slide film.</p>

<p>Scanned with Nikon 9000 with 35mm slide holder, resulting in a further crop.</p><div>00e5kl-564830484.jpg.c416869ec40b90e31c96566133ca002b.jpg</div>

<p>Great car, Kent. I know 101 hp (especially gross rather than net) doesn't sound like much, but as small and light the Dart was in that day it might have performed reasonably well. And the restricted breathing of most inline sixes (due to a 1 bbl carb) allowed peak torque to be developed at low rpm (typically 1200 to 1600 rpm) making for good responsiveness around town. </p>

<p>The problem was that the cam shaft was about as wild as a broom stick. I think it was Mike (Mike?) Donahue played with it with a livelier cam and tougher valve springs. One Dart I owned had a hurst 3 speed on the floor that we installed. It was fun bit still a slant six. If only I could buy one now but I get no support from the mrs.. I would put a classic camera on the dash just to keep the subject on cameras. I still remember the registered weight, 2750 lbs.</p>

<p>Regarding the Dart, after your interesting comments, a little online research, and personal memory jogging, I realize that the "270" emblem on the hood represented the trim package (better than the base 170 but not as cool as the premium GT) and, of course, not the engine displacement. I'm pretty sure our car had the 225 cubic inch slant six, which Wikipedia says was a $50 option over the base 170 cid engine.</p><div>00e5og-564847884.jpg.b47b2fc5306b2c555d59d1b3cf2dc84a.jpg</div>

<p>Yeah, a classic camera on the dash would be cool. For Kent's car maybe a Konica Auto S or a Nikon F. A further car comment: IMHO I think automakers gave up of the inline six too soon. I know emissions problems took their toll of most of these engines during the 1970's but I once drove a friend's '78 Nova which had the large 250 cid six and an automatic and even with A/C it drove very well. The venerable 200 cid Ford six in the late 70's Fairmont/Zephyr twins wasn't up to much, though, as the versions sold with the 140 cid inline four actually performed a bit better.<br>

Of course, the trend to front wheel drive also meant a shorter engine was needed for the transverse mounting required.</p>