How to get 18MB files from Kodak DCS 560

The 560 is based on the EOS1 so this seemed like the best place to post this question. We are in the process of

trying to move to a house with fewer stairs so I have been sorting through cameras looking to offload those that

were not worth keeping. I found the 560 and shot a few samples and when processed they had better quality than I

remembered. Could be my eyes are going or my memory or both. Checking its specifications on the web it has an

intrinsic file size of 6MB but with some kind of interpolation it is supposed to go up to 18MB. If so I will

probably keep it because of its historical position and the huge sound it produces when triggered. It is

difficult to part with any nifty gear even though I don't use it very often.

Camera pix follow.

<p>Just a note. Megabytes are not the same as megapixels. The former is a measure of the size of a file in storage. The latter is a measure of the resolution.</p>

<p>There are ways to interpolate more pixels into a lower resolution image, but these do not truly increase the resolution, but merely "simulate" the higher resolution.<br /> A ca. 12 MB jpg-sized file, for example, results in my case from something like a resolution of 3500 pixels by 5500 pixels (ca. 18 megapixel resolution). You are not going to get <em>true</em> 3500x5500 resolution out of a 2000x3000 pixel image.</p>

<p>I've been trying to find a copy of the DCS 560 for some time now, but apparently I am not the only one who covets early digital cameras. :(</p>

JDM This is from a website

These features vary, depending on respective camera models:

* Image size: DCS 520/D2000: 2 million pixels (1728 x 1152) 2:3 aspect ratio

DCS 560: 6 million pixels (2008 x 3040) 2:3 aspect ratio

* Finished file size DCS 520/D2000: 6 MB

DCS 560: 18 MB

* ISO: DCS 520/D2000: 200 - 1600

DCS 560: 80 - 200

* Continuous frame rate: DCS 520/D2000: 3.5 frames/sec. If memory is full (burst depth of 12 is reached), the rate is temporarily reduced to .5 frame/sec.

DCS 560: 1 frame/sec. If memory is full (burst depth of 3 is reached), the rate is temporarily reduced to .15 frame/sec.

* Burst: DCS 520/D2000: 3.5 frames/sec. burst for 12 images

DCS 560: 1 frame/sec. burst for 3 images

HOWEVER there does not seem to be any way to get the 18 MB on a file.

<p>I have this camera with accessories - JDM von Weinberg, would you like to buy it?. I remember some marketing noise from Kodak about 18 megabytes or another magic way to multiply the pixel count by 3, but as far as I know it's just a Bayer sensor that records one of the three colours at each point (it's not like the Sigma Foveon sensors, which do have some vague claim to provide triple the number of pixels).</p>

<p>You are right that the quality is a lot better than you might expect just from seeing the number of "only" 6 megapixels. I reprocessed some of my early shots with decent tools (RawTherapee) and they came out very nicely (where the photo was well taken to start with, of course). There are some examples in my Flickr photostream around 36nr3734

<p>The raw images (and I think it only saves raw images, not JPEGs) are indeed in TIFF format and perhaps it bloats them out to write a full 6 million pixels for each colour. That would partly account for the slow burst speed...</p>

<p>Surely a 6 megapixel camera file automatically becomes an 18 megabyte RGB file without interpolation of any kind? A 6 megapixel camera is not be sneezed at and should make prints up to 8x10" or so which are fine for most purposes. </p>

<p>A 6 MP camera is the point at which (as the Nikon people claimed before they got beyond that point) where the image starts to be "good enough" at least.<br /> When the cameras got to that point historically, you saw the great and rapid changeover of most workers to digital, ca. 2003-5.</p>

<p>[<em>I've sent Ed Avis a message via the P.net system</em>]</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just a note. Megabytes are not the same as megapixels. The former is a measure of the size of a file in storage. The latter is a measure of the resolution.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Confusingly, with the right JPEG compression, it works out to about 1MB per MP, so it is easy to get confused on this. </p>

-- glen

<p><em>Megabytes are not the same as megapixels.</em><br>

There seems to be some confusing use of terminology here. Megapixels do indeed indicate the resolution of a sensor, but there is a direct and invariable relationship between sensor resolution and image file size. For example, a 20 MP sensor will always deliver a file which in uncompressed form (such as TIFF) will be 60 MB in RGB form and 80 MB in CMYK. <br>

The same applies fundamentally to JPEG files - a JPEG file from a 20 MP sensor will open up to the same 60/80 MB, the actual size of the stored file will be smaller, because JPEGs are compressed - the stored size will depend on the degree of JPEG compression. This has absolutely nothing to do with interpolation, which is a way of making stored files bigger by adding pixels if necessary. <br>

There are some cameras (I once had a Finepix E550) which have built-in interpolation - my Finepix had a 6 MP sensor but stored files internally as 12 MP (although they appeared smaller because they were in JPEG form) - these files then opened up as 36 MB RGB. Interpolation never gives exactly the same quality as a bigger file but most people find 50% interpolation to be acceptable, or even more in non-critical cases.</p>

All, The EXIF of the DCS 560 model that I have lists the type as DCS520C vice DCS560 also the ISO range is 200 to 1600 rather than 80 to 200. I am thinking it must be a transition model that still has the 2MB sensor which produces the 6MB output images.

Thanks for your help.

Randyc