View NX2 with DF RAW vs. D750 Raw Files

Sandy Vongries

<p>I usually shoot JPEG, Large, Fine with both of my cameras -- on the advice of some Online Photo Friends, I have been experimenting with shooting Raw. I use View NX2 which came with the DF for editing and everything works just great with the Raw files. I have a bit more flexibility when I need to adjust something, but generally not much different than with JPEGs. The issue is with my D 750. With JPEG just the same as the DF, but View NX 2 will not process the Raw output from the D 750 in any way. I'm guessing, after trying everything I can think of that I need to update to the NX D or i if I want to continue to use the Nikon software. I have Elements 14, and that works just fine with the RAW files from the D 750 and is more sophisticated, so easiest thing is to change my workflow, as I don't often do much more than minor tweaks in PP. Any input (mostly to satisfy my curiosity) will be appreciated!</p>

<p>Nikon has discontinued View NX-2. I don't know exactly what's the replacement is (NX-D, NX-I??) but since I don't like them I still use NX-2. I am not sure any version of NX-2 would work with D750 RAW files but the version that came with the Df wasn't the last NX-2. </p>

<p>NX2 (including the last version 2.4.7) does officially not work with the D750, nor D7200, D810, D500 and D5 (maybe not other models as well, but these are the ones I'm sure of.<br>

I have no knowledge of a, due to geographical location, different version of NX2 (Asian version?)<br>

I personally use version 2.4.6 for my D3, DF and D800</p>

<p>I did consider the D750 and D810 shortly after their introduction, and being a longtime, very satisfied user of NX1 and NX2 (just too old, dumb and inflexible to pour energy into learning Photoshop - last version I worked with was Photoshop 4.0 somewhere in the mid 90's - , Lightroom and other 'more advanced/better' programs) was kind of shy to possibly losing the option to continue using it as NXD seemed the only option for the files of those cameras</p>

<p>Downloaded D750 and D810 files, as well as a copy of NXD.<br>

Although it was possible to covert the RAW files into TIFF's in NXD, and then process those TIFF's in NX 2.4.6 (the version I had, no doubt and older or newer version would have worked fine as well) I found that the files, which already were big, then really become gigantic, in the region of well over 100MB a piece. Which obviously put a lot of strain on my computer (Macbook Pro i7, 16MB RAM, 762 GB SSD) pace and workflow.<br>

As I also lost certain certain options I highly treasure (in particular highlight and shadow retrieval on a RAW level) I wasn't really happy with that option.</p>

<p>I then however, and much to my delight, found this guy, Miguel Bañón who had created a small program called Raw2Nef) http://www.bagnon.com/raw2nef/<br>

It works very simple, just download the RAW files on your computer, open RAW2NEF, and drag and drop the RAW files into RAW2NEF.<br>

They get a small mutation in the exif, are 'recreated' as new files and get stored somewhere on your computer.<br>

And then can be processed further in NX2 as an original RAW files (with the afore mentioned shadow and highlight options, but also the, in NXD no longer available, Color Control Points (IMO one of the most useful options in NX2)<br>

Of course put it to the test, and it works as simple and flawless as described. As I decided not to get a D750 or D810, I don't use it in my present workflow, but have a copy on my computer in case I ever will.</p>

<p>Only 'disadvantage' is that e.g. a D750 RAW will no longer, in the EXIF, be mentioned as a D750, but rather as a D600, and a D810 RAW as a D800 file, but that's only a cosmetic adaption, the file itself remains untouched.<br>

Originally it would only work with NX 2.4.6, don't know if that has changed, and as said only with the files of the D750 and D810 (those are the ones I'm sure of, possibly the D7200 was also included). <br>

It has since been upgraded, now also works with files from the Sony A6000, Sony A7, Sony A7II, Sony A7R, D7200, Nikon D500 and Nikon D5 (both on a Win 10 and El Capitan platform).</p>

<p>It's a free program/download, although Miguel has the following to say on that :<br>

'If you find Raw2Nef useful, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating! Patrons join a reserved list that receives beta versions and early warning of updates, as well as priority feedback on technical questions and issues.'<br>

<br />If you're a user of it, IMO, a very reasonable request considering the lease of life it gives to the continued usefulness of NX2 with the newer and latest Nikon models.</p>

<p>HTH</p>

<p>I would just download the current packages, ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D, and give them a try. You can get both in a single installer here:</p>

<p>http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/74.html</p>

<p>Both packages are free. I prefer the output of the raw conversion to what I get by default from Adobe's converters. I think it's worth doing a direct comparison to see what you think. If you are happy with the Adobe conversions there's no particular reason to use Nikon's software.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I then however, and much to my delight, found this guy, Miguel Bañón who had created a small program called Raw2Nef) <a href="http://www.bagnon.com/raw2nef/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.bagnon.com/raw2nef/</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>My take on that would be that it's only worth considering if you have Capture NX2, not ViewNX2. Capture NX2, which was paid software, had some features (like control points) missing from Capture NX-D, which is free. But Capture NX2 users might also want to look at the free Google Nik Collection. Nik Software, which wrote Capture NX2 for Nikon, was acquired by Google and some of the same technology (including control points) is now available in this plugin collection, which was originally paid software but is now free:</p>

<p>http://www.google.com/nikcollection/<br>

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-started-googles-free-nik-plugins-photography/</p>

<p><em>My take on that would be that it's only worth considering if you have Capture NX2, not ViewNX2. Capture NX2, which was paid software, had some features (like control points) missing from Capture NX-D, which is free. But Capture NX2 users might also want to look at the free Google Nik Collection. Nik Software, which wrote Capture NX2 for Nikon, was acquired by Google and some of the same technology (including control points) is now available in this plugin collection, which was originally paid software but is now free</em><br /> <br /> Yes, you need to have NX2 to be able to take advantage of Raw2Nef, and NX2 is/was paid software.<br /> But then also is Photoshop, Lightroom etc., so that, as far as free vs paid is concerned, is not really an argument<br /> Over here in the Netherlands a major photo retailer (s o not some obscure 'I have an illegal copy for sale' shop) has NX2 for sale for Eur 159, as far as I remember less then the official MRSP at the introduction.<br /> And of course a free 60 days trial version of NX2.4.7 can still be downloaded https://nikonimglib.com/cnx2/index_en_eur.html#os-macintosh, similarly to the older NX 2.4.6 http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8124/~/capture-nx-2-ver.-2.4.6-software-download (not sure if that is a trial version)</p>

<p>On the other hand, if you already have a copy NX Capture V1 (the version which originally was introduced/offered for sale - and can also still be found for sale - with the D1, and could be used, with the free upgrades with all Nikon models up to and including the D3) you can get an upgrade set to make the transition to NX2 (although that upgrade copy admittedly does not work with the copy of NX Capture V1 that came for free with the D3 and D300)</p>

<p>As far as the Nik Collection is concerned, although it's originally from the same company that developed NX1/2, it's in my experience (I downloaded and played with it when it became available for free) not a serious option<br /> <br />For starters, it does not process RAW files.<br /> And obviously to get the best results, especially when forced to work under less ideal circumstances, when, e.g. for lack of time or shooting under high pressure, it's impossible to for each shot find out the best settings, shooting in RAW to have enough room to make serious/high quality modifications/corrections in post processing after wards, is the only/best option<br /> I a.o. do a lot of location shooting of e.g. events, and catwalk, where getting the shot is the first priority.<br /> So you just shoot with the best approximate settings, and make corrections for the 'perfect picture' later, as you really can't take a series of pictures at different settings from the same shot, having only one moment to take it before the situation changes.</p>

<p>Secondly, it, just like eg Photoshop Express (another free piece of software), in my experience, is very much just a higher end version of the Instagram filters, lot of 'easy' precooked effects and filters that need little experience and knowledge other then wanting to have a picture look 'nice' or 'interesting'.<br /> So hardly a serious piece of photo processing software offering the same level of personal fine tuning and adjustment as NX2 (where I unlike Photoshop eg can apply sharpening to a very local area, like only the eyeball in a face, without having to resort to more labor intensive masking and layering).</p>

<p><br />With regard to the Colour Control Points, the level of sophistication and usability of that option in the Nik Collection is a far cry from, and IMO not comparable to those in (in particular) NX2 , and can't, apart from the same name, be seriously compared with it.</p>

<p>So just like NXD, you get what you paid for, a up to a certain, none too serious level, usable piece of software, but you'll need to buy spend money on a better program if you want to use do some more serious post processing.</p>

<p>Gents, many thanks for your useful replies. Since Elements 14 works and is (apparently) somewhat tunable, I'll stick with that for now. The DF gets more use then the D 750, so I'll continue my RAW exploration with that mostly using View NX2. I'll set the D 750 as in the past JPEG / Large / Fine which has been satisfactory up to now. I have the option of switching to Raw and processing with Elements, or if I find RAW to my taste (pardon the pun) I can pivot to Elements or buy some additional software. Again, thanks to all!</p>

<p>Sandy: Current Nikon downloadable sw pair: the ViewNX-i and the ViewNX-d are a good and flexible pair of raw (and jpg) image management and processing tools. These are much more efficient compared to the Capture NX2.</p>

<p>However, if one needs some of the functionality of the Capture NX2, then it is possible to write out a tiff-file(s) for those (raw) images that need local adjustments (-export function). The tiff file is camera model independent, so Capture NX2 as well as the Nik Collection is able to process it.</p>

<p>I like it initially raw, but I may cook it later!</p>

<p>Paul: good to hear your comments on the Nik u-point compared to the CNX2. So it is still CNX2 for me when local edits are needed.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sandy: I haven't read all the comments above but I have the D750 and ran into this same problem. I've always used NX2 to convert my RAW files and then, if needed, make any further changes with Elements. Of course that came to a halt with the D750 and after several hair pulling (and I don't have much) nights of experiments I found that I can open RAW files with NXD, producing a TIF file and while NXD is open look in the upper right box and you can "open with" NX2. Sorta round about way of operating but I really like having the control points in NX2. Thanks to Paul above, I'm going to look into the NIK software... Mike</p>

<p>Kari, thanks -- based on a few experiences, including an unauthorized download of Win 10, which I had reversed with difficulty, somewhat gunshy on "new, improved, vitamin enriched" software. I did give a link to the new stuff to my Daughter in Law, also a Nikon user, but she had nothing and therefore nothing to loose. When View NX2 crashed in the middle of a big project earlier this fall, I had a real struggle to get the stuff done, and it was a freebee! Maybe later -- certainly have to update at some point. Fat & happy right now. BR Sandy</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes, you need to have NX2 to be able to take advantage of Raw2Nef, and NX2 is/was paid software.<br /> But then also is Photoshop, Lightroom etc., so that, as far as free vs paid is concerned, is not really an argument</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sandy mentions only ViewNX2, not Capture NX2 (I think the two packages have got a bit confused in this thread). I don't see any point in using a hack like raw2nef just to continue using ViewNX2 (which doesn't have the Nik technology either) - better to switch to the current packages. I agree that the cost is a side issue, though perhaps loss of the Nik features is one reason why Nikon doesn't charge for the latest Capture.</p>

<p>I can understand why some Capture NX2 users may want to continue using it, but think the Nik plugins are also worth a mention - whether some combination of Capture NX-D, ViewNX-i and the Nik plugins can replace an existing Capture NX2 / ViewNX2 setup of course depends on your workflow. I still have a copy of the original Capture NX, but can't remember the last time I ran it. I ditched ViewNX2 when Capture NX-D came out and am not currently running ViewNX-i (Capture NX-D has a pretty decent browser built in, and I don't do image transfer in Nikon's software, making ViewNX-i a bit redundant). Anything that needs more work goes into PS, where I have the Nik plugins installed (using them in standalone mode isn't very user-friendly).</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

After purchasing my D750 I found I could not open my RAW files in Photoshop unless I did a costly upgrade. My solution was purchasing Lightroom 6. I can do everything that I need to there. The software that came packaged with the D750 (View NX2) will open the files for viewing but that is it.<br>

Rick</p>