Tech lll Linhof Bellows

kenneth_smith7

<p>I have my second Chinese nylon bellows that is too big for my Linhof Tech lll. The first time they sent a Tech lV, or so they said, and we returned for a lll, which turns out to still be too big. I'm wondering if it's my fault. I have always believed I had a tech lll, but now I'm not sure. The front standard was fixed, then machined to tilt. I suppose the only way to get the correct bellows is to send them a schematic of the rear where this thing mounts. Duh. Two months at this and counting. Oh well too windy to shoot anyway.</p>

<p>I'm happy to have this version, despite the Camera Quest dismissal. The front standard was machined for tilts, and the overall construction is not only solid and fine, but striped of all extraneous hardware is quite lightweight. Now I need a 183mm square bellows though, and that might be an expense I hadn't anticipated. I cleaned this camera up and replaced the wore leather with a hard cream colored enamel. </p><div>00dpBP-561674884.JPG.626a02f993e6fdfd2027fd387f891150.JPG</div>

<p>How bad are the original bellows?<br>

Pin holes at the corners, no rips or tears- paint the inside with Golden Heavy Body artist paint #1040 Carbon Black<br>

http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/colors/heavy-body/carbon-black<br>

Dilute up to 50% with water and apply in thin coats until the bellows are light tight. This paint dries flexible and is very durable.</p>

<p>Small tears or separated pleats- source some .008 rubberized bellows cloth from a Player Piano restoration supplier. It sells for $90+ per yard, 54 inches wide. Glue it to the inside of the bellows with non flammable contact cement. (Micro Tools sells the same material in small quantities listed as shutter cloth, a dealer may sell you a larger piece.) This repair adds bulk to the bellows and may prevent the camera from closing properly. </p>

<p>Thanks Charles,<br>

I went through ten years of randomly ruined negatives with the original bellows and finally decided to ditch it. When I did take it off, I noticed it had disintegrated more than I realized which is why I was always plugging it up with black rubber cement. The good news is that my man in Hong Kong just said to cut three pleats in on the one thats too big and it will fit, and I think that will be fine for me. I was reluctant to opt for that at first, but the next option is several hundreds of dollars more for a leather bellows made here. Linhof wants more than one thousand dollars for theirs. </p>

<p>Yes, but that was the price for the Tech lll, which if I were to buy would require the cutting down to fit, which is what I did with the Chinese model. I lost 60mm, but still have enough length for the kind of close ups I do. This oldie is very nice indeed. Clean as a whistle and lightweight for field carry. </p>