Nikon 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 on Nikon Df

jon_shumpert2

<p>Basically it doesn't do anything, except you get an information on your file data. It is up to you to enter the longer focal length and the max aperture. Like in the 35-105/3.5-4.5 I would enter the 105 and f3.5. Actually I using a lots of old manual lenses including zooms like the 18/4, 20/3.5 &f/4, 35/1.4, 50/2, f/1.8 f1.2, 28-50/3.5AI-S, 35-135.3.5, 50-135/3.5. 105/2.5. 135/2.8, 180/2.8, 200/4,(several of them) 300/4.5ED, 400/5.6ED and more, all of them AI or AI converted lenses. And the cameras I using with those lenses are D3s, D4 and my beloved Df. Regardless, I haw all the AF & AF-S lenses too. The setting is for your information only. The 35-105/3.5-4.5 is a little fun lens, solid build and sharp. I prefer the 35-135/3.5-4.5AI-S instead, for general use.</p>

<p>I set my DF with the F stop of the old AI zooms, (80-200, 50-300) FL somewhere toward the middle of the range, doesn't seem to make much difference. Since I can Chimp, I can always adjust if necessary -- so far, it hasn't been. With fixed AI, shooting aperture, it is precise and valuable. You see in the finder where you are, both Aperture and Shutter speed.</p>

<p>The camera uses the focal length information to determine the minimum hand holding shutter speed. It needs the maximum aperture to properly meter in matrix mode. The F5 couldn't meter in matrix with AI/AIS lenses because of this fact. However a small difference like between 3.5-4.5 would not make a different in the metering.</p>

<p>Some variable aperture zoom has 2 aperture marking on the aperture ring. One for when the focal length is at minimum the other when the zoom is at maximum. I can't get a good picture of the lens so I don't know. If the lens has only 1 aperture marking on the ring then I would set it so that the number on the aperture ring agrees with the LCD display.</p>

<p>This lens has a single aperture number on the ring, but two dots to which the ring lines up. </p>

<p>At any click stop of the aperture ring, the green dot shows the aperture at 35, the orange at 105.</p>

<p>Both the meter claw and the step in the AI ring are positioned to show an index setting of F3.5, so that's what it will register as on an F or an F3, for example.</p><div>00e9rp-565598884.jpg.1e71247b68ee2a8b0c3b0beed4465676.jpg</div>