About to build my own tripod system

joy bhowmik

Hi All:

I am planning to go for a completely new camera support system.

Historically I have been dissappointed with several pan-swivel-tilt

type tripods (the one I have and plan to dispose off soon is a

Vivitar).

The reason for my dissappointment is that these systems for some

reason fail to hold their position when you use a long heavy lens.

I am particularly interested in ball heads. But I found on the B&H

web site that to buy a complete tripod with ball head can be quite

expensive.

I think it is probably more economical for me to get a good ball-

head and to make it work with some really ordinary legs. (I am not a

guy who stands on some rocky outcrop at the edge of the ocean trying

to get a shot of the perfect moonrise). For this reason, I think I

can go with really ordinary legs.

What are your thoughts?

I also thought of the monopod, but for some reason, doubt my ability

to handle it effectively.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Joy Bhowmik

John Shaw in a discussion of tripods says that photogrphers usually buy three tripods, a cheap one, a more expensive cheap one, and finally a good one. Unfortunately ordinary legs may not support your long lens. a monopod definately won't do for any long exposure. So, it just depends on what you want to really do. If you have longish lens be prepared to spend some money on a good enough tripod to get sharp results

I have a cheapo Slik U8000 which I modified to take the medium Giotto ball head. This enough to squeeze out 95 lpm with lenses shorter than 50mm and at least 65 lpm with lenses up to 180mm. Not good for longer lenses of course, but definitely usable for anthing wide angle to medium telephoto and definitely better than no tripod.

I realised that I left out a lot of information.

OK. Here it is.

I am considering using a good head to help support a telephoto zoom 70-300 lens that is about 1.03 lbs. The problem is not the weight of the lens itself. It is the length of the lens.

I will be using a Nikon N80.

I want the head to support a Nikon 70-300 lens at fullest extension of the tube. (which means some amount of "turning force" or torque which the head should resist)

A Sunpak PZ5000 will be on the shoe mount.

Now approx weights

The camera body weighs: 1 lb

The lens about 1 lb (but it is extended- so the effect is more on the point of support)

The flash weighs maybe 0.5 lb.

Any ideas?

What do you suggest should be the rated load that I should consider for the ball-head?

You might look into the Bogen long lens support. The lens is attached to the tripod, the body is attached to a long pole that is attached to a Bogen Super Clamp which is clamped to one of your tripod's legs. You loose mobility but gain a lot of stability. It's pretty reasonably priced too.

<I>Nikon N80 ... 70-300 lens at fullest extension ... Sunpak PZ5000 will be on the shoe mount.</I><br><br>

For this setup you need a better tripod than what you have or what I described. I tested my rig with a Contax 100-300 with MLU, focussing loupe, no wind, cable release: @300 the image quality drops. You need something mor stable, a better head and a better tripod.

Any of the equipment described below will handle the relatively light equipment you have described (and more).

http://www.photo.net/nature/bogtri

http://www.photo.net/nature/ballhead

While Bogen/Manfretto ballheads are not the best in the world, but for around $50 they get the job done with light equipment (like yours), and it won't hurt so much if you upgrade to a $200 - $400 ballhead. I think there is a new line of Manfretto ballheads, but the new models should be similar to the old ones.

I use the kind of tripod that is used for geodetic surveys and mapping and swear by it! Not only is it absolutely rock steady (has to be for accurate surveys) it is also extremly flexible (from ground level to something like 65"/165 cm) and rather inexpensive at around $150. To get an idea of what I mean, look up <a href="http://www.benmeadows.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=2747&parent_id=556">Ben Meadows.</a> Its only drawback, possibly, is that it doesn't fold very short and that it's somewhat heavy. But then, it isn't wobbly either! After all, steadiness is what tripods are about, not primarily portability :-) You will have to do some simple engineering to attach a photographic ball head to it, namely getting the right size screw (3/8"-16 UNC) and a large washer, but that's all.

I've been there and done that. I've got a Manfrotto super 3D head mounted on a set of cheap no-name aluminum legs. Total cost £37 (what's that in $). It's good for short lenses in still conditions but I would say the legs are not stiff enough for 300 mm. If you're using the zoom at 300 mm regularly I think you're at the threshold of needing a high quality rigid legset.

Ah, but you see there I must disagree completely. I have yet to find and try a tripod that is sturdier than my survey tripod. And I have tried all sorts of legs with all sorts of fancy names like Gitzo, Manfrotto, Benbo and what-not. I haven't tried Sachtler, though, and they do have a solid reputation. And, mind you, I have used all sorts of long glass up here in the Scandinavian arctic where conditions are far from calm at times. (I have, for instance, a pin-sharp image taken with my Hasselblad and a Tele-Tessar 500/8 in gale wind and -32 centigrades. The camera froze up after two shots, but anyway... Unfortunately, I don't have a MF scanner to prove it.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...