A Couple of Days at the Races

<p>I've mentioned in a couple of recent posts that I've been involved in a project to document the buildings and surroundings at our local racecourse. Like many of our country racecourses, the public decline in support for horse racing, and off-course/on-line betting, has meant that "a day at the races" is becoming a thing of the past, and the income required to maintain the buildings and grounds that the sport demands is becoming increasingly hard to find. In a sense, I felt I was documenting the end of an era,and I was saddened to see this slow demise. This course was established in the late 1800's, and many of the buildings date from the early 1900's; most of the trees were planted around that time and there are some magnificent specimens. Since it seems to be a slow weekend on CMC I thought I'd post a some sample images.</p>

<p>I decided to use a couple of my favourite medium format cameras, the Rollieflex Automat K4a with a 75mmTessar f/3.5 lens, and the Bronica S2a with a 75mm Nikkor-P f/2.8. I felt the square 6x6cm format would make framing more of a challenge, and I decided to use only the lenses generally considered as "standard" for this format. It was interesting, using two such different cameras for the project, and I really can't tell you which I preferred. The Bronica is obviously a more flexible system for general work, but the Rollei is about half the weight and that Tessar lens is remarkable. The film was Ilford HP5 for the Bronica and Arista EDU400 for the Rolleiflex, both developed in PMK Pyro and scanned on the Epson V700 using Silverfast software. I'll tag the images to denote the camera involved. First, the obligatory image of the cameras, and I hope you find something to like among the samples.</p><div>00dyEJ-563366584.jpg.0ac733a7e9ce35916b0ce8e8324bb62d.jpg</div>

<p>Rick,<br>

I always love seeing results from the old Bronica's since it was my first real "professional"camera. I bought a nearly new Bronica S2A with waist-level and 75mm Nikkor to shoot weddings. It was a real treat for me since I had four backs and it allowed me to be always be ready and never having to change film at the wrong time. It was my favorite setup until I got a used Hasselblad 500C. Optically I still like the 75mm Nikkors rendering, but the silence of the Compur leaf shutter (plus flash sync speed) is what sold me from then on. The one nice thing that the S2A did do during the wedding was wake anybody who might be sleeping so they didn't miss the groom kissing the bride. I don't shoot weddings anymore and shoot only for my own enjoyment now. I still have the 'blad, but the S2A went to a new home many years ago. If I didn't have a Pentax 6X7 I'd be running a Bronica GS1 for sure. Most Bronica bodies and gear are dirt cheap compared to other equipment. It's tempting and I may just buy into it again. Maybe? Your shots tempt me even more. John W </p>

<p>Yes, we seem to have gone down a similar path, <strong>John</strong>. I used the Bronicas early in my career and went over to Pentax 67, then put together this Bronica S2 outfit two or three years ago. As you say, definitely not a quiet camera to use, but the very clever mirror mirror that slides down rather than flapping up allows me to hold the camera happily at 1/60th with standard lens with no evidence of camera shake. My favourite Bronica is the ETRs, though, a gem of a camera.</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Alan</strong>, <strong>Mike</strong> and <strong>Chuck</strong>; I'm pleased you liked the post.</p>

<p>If you hadn't labeled the shots, I wouldn't have known which came from which. My favorite is #7. Wonderful lenses on those two cameras. I've owned them both, and for sure the 'flex is a lot more pleasant to carry and shoot. I later sold them, and the decision to sell the Bronica was a much easier one than the decision to sell the Rolleiflex. My shoulder hurt from carrying it, and when I tripped the shutter it would scare everyone withing 20 or 30 yards, including me! Ka pow! You'd have thought that I'd fired a gun. They're very big cameras too, and make a Hasselblad look compact. I loved playing w/ it, didn't love actually shooting it.</p>

<p>Rick,<br>

I am tempted to respond, belatedly and upon reflection. Your wonderful images take me back to the early 50's, when, as a youngster, my parents and neighbours would load up there cars in Lower Hutt for the big trip over the Rimutaka Ranges for a day at the Tauherenikau Races. We would picnic on the grass there, with tomato, marmite & cheese, cold lamb & mint sauce sandwiches and of course, bacon & egg pie. Unfortunately, these memories also make one sad to grow old. Your images are a true attest to idyllic times long gone. Thank you.</p>

Tony Evans

<p><strong>Robert</strong>, the course is outside the small rural town of Featherston, in the south-east corner of the North Island of New Zealand. Yes, <strong>Steve</strong>, the Bronica is certainly a noisy, hefty brute, but I find I get consistently good results with it, and the flexibility of the system with it's various lenses and viewfinders sees me using it more than the Rolleiflex. Thanks, <strong>Greg</strong>, old buildings are always photogenic, especially in these sorts of surroundings.</p>

<p>Ah, <strong>Tony</strong>, trust an ex-pat to paint the picture that I, too, remember so well, right down to the Marmite sandwiches. The occasional race meeting that's still held here lacks that family feeling we remember, and picnic lunches certainly don't seem to be much in evidence. I certainly feel an empathy with the old racecourse; it could be said that we're growing old together. It's a miserable grey southerly day down here, of the kind I'm sure you'll recall; I just might make a bacon and egg pie... Thank you all for your responses.</p>

<p>Thanks for these Rick....what a wonderful place, and the feeling of light is just beautiful. Two fabulous cameras too, and it's hard to pick much difference between the two here, which is probably a real testament to the quality of that old Tessar....one of my very favourite lenses for sure.<br>

I have just sold my Bronica EC outfit, miss it already, and your images don't help! Feel free to share more images from this area, always nice to view. Oh, and I apologize for the weather we are bout to send you :)</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Rick, I'm much belated here as I've not kept up with the forum in recent weeks. But I wanted to say, that was a great photoessay about a vanishing pastime. You know I'm a fan of the S2/S2A and those Nikkors, so I'm not surprised that the 75 holds its own against the German glass that I'm sure was considered superior per conventional wisdom at the time.<br>

May I ask how you're getting on with the chimney finder on the S2A? On these cameras, it seems like some sort of dark enclosure is in order, because the regular WLF is fairly light-leaky and prone to glare/reflection, at least on my S2. I attempted the eye-level (pentaprism) finder as a solution, since I found one as part of an auction with other useful bits and bobs. It's a good job the whole lot was very cheap, because I use the pentaprism almost never. I found the S2 to be a poor candidate for eye-level use given its ergonomics and weight, the latter of course being worsened by the hulking pentaprism itself. Hence I'm considering the chimney finder now.<br>

<em>--Dave</em></p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Dave</strong>, I'm pleased you liked the series. Yes, I tried (and sold) the prism finder, finding it awkward and weighty. The chimney finder is excellent and I wouldn't be without it. The eyepiece adjusts to suit your vision and the rubber cup is comfortable, excluding stray light. If you're buying this finder, make sure the cup is included, as it detaches rather easily. They seem to come up quite regularly on Ebay , in the $80-$100 range, and at these prices it's money well-spent.</p>

<p>Thanks much, Rick. I suspected the chimney was helpful, but your firsthand experience is an even better guide. I'll have to go look for one on auction. In my previous brief looks through eBay, I have seen some with and some without the eyecup, and already figured I ought be careful to get that, for the protection of my eyeglasses (which I suspect I'll need to leave on and then dial in no correction on the chimney, because my prescription is usually outside the diopter range most eyepieces offer).<br>

<em>--Dave</em></p>