Bought wrong products...need advice on flash with trigger on cam

maryann_miles

Hi all

I had a system set up to fire my backlights using a Pro Master set with sync cord. Best used for wedding dance pics.

One day, the trigger set stopped working. The new set would not work the way the old one did, so I "upgraded" to Phottix..

It's great at firing off-camera flash, but the trigger mounts on the hot shoe, and there's no place to put my main flash!

What is the best option? (It's the Phottix ares)

Thanks...

<p>I use Phottix equipment also. My "Laso" trigger mounts on the hot shoe, as does yours. Have you considered getting a flash bracket? (Ex: CB Junior by Custom Brackets) The trigger has no problem firing my Canon 600EX-RT while it's mounted on the bracket - or anywhere else within a reasonable distance. If your flash isn't capable of wireless, there's the Phottix Laso TTL Receiver that might work for you. I use a Laso TTL Reciever for Canon to fire my older Canon 430EX. Hope this helps you.</p>
David H

<p>The system I'm talking about is wireless. When I put my 600EX-RT on the bracket, it doesn't require any sync cable. The Phottix Wireless TTL Flash Trigger Transmitter is the only thing that sits in the camera hot shoe. It sends a wireless signal to the 600EX-RT. The transmitter also sends a wireless signal to my older flash unit thanks to the Laso TTL Receiver that I've got it connected to. Sorry if I'm not explaining this very clearly!</p>
David H

<p>Does your camera provide a PC socket for old fashioned sync cables besides it's hotshoe? If so: Get an inexpensive PC to hotshoe adapter and put it on a flash bracket and the Ares into it. If not you are a bit lost: You could adapt from your hotshoe to PC use a multiplier and go back to hotshoes but all multi connectors I used so far weren't really reliable + you would use TTL control of your on camera flash. I guess I would try to radio trigger a manual on camera flash too, before I'd bother with PC multi connectors in a wedding or press environment.</p>

Maryann, I don't think you're getting what's been

suggested in the use of a bracket. The bracket can

be used to mount a slave (receiver) trigger plus

flash next to the camera, while using the trigger

transmitter in the hotshoe to fire all flashes

wirelessly. That way the hotshoe only needs to hold

the trigger transmitter.

A coaxial P-C socket is fitted to some cameras separately from the hotshoe, and could be used to fire a bracket mounted flash. Leaving the hotshoe free for a radio trigger.

Alternatively the bracket could house the trigger transmitter in a P-C to hotshoe adapter.