Gary Fong Lightsphere = 120J/Bare bulb flash effect?

<p>Hi<br>

Despite having read mixed opinions on them, I recently invested in a Gary Fong Lightsphere to use on my speelights as an alternative to bouncing light from the ceiling.</p>

<p>I was pleasantly surprised (when shooting upwards at the ceiling) by the way it dispersed light to fill in the shadows on faces that you normally get when bouncing a speedlight off the ceiling.</p>

<p>I was wondering, is this effect the same as I would get using my bare bulb Sunpak 120J with the reflector off (currently awaiting a new bulb for it so have been unable to try myself!), or would I need some kind of modifier on the sunpak to create this soft/evenly diffused effect (something like <a href="https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-12cm-180-diffuser-globe-for-hybrid360-bare-bulb-flash/?t=id30ecommerce">this</a> perhaps, but other recommendations that would acheive this effect very welcome)?</p>

<p>To answer the obvious question of why do this with a 120J if I already like the speedlight & modifier effect - just generally prefer the quality of light and the Sunpak is more useful for the other flash set ups I use.</p>

<p>Many thanks</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>A Fong lightsphere is not the same as bouncing. Bouncing (generally) creates a large luminous surface at a distance from the camera - similar to a softbox or window light. Whereas a lightsphere is still a small, hard source close to the camera, with the addition of spread ambient light. The radiated light from the lightsphere softens shadows through bouncing, but the direct light from it is still hard in character due to its small size.</p>

<p>So the effect is similar to what you'd get from a bare bulb, but with some loss of light and efficiency. Definitely not the same as bounced flash though, which is a true soft light with gradated shadow transitions.</p>

<p>Will, the LS fills those shadows because it is not only bouncing the light off the ceiling, but also throwing light straight forward. For lower ceilings you use the cap, and take it off for higher ceilings.</p>

<p>As Joe mentions, it is still a small light source so the catch lights in the eyes will be quite small, and the lighting effect will always be harsher than a large modifier closer to the subject. </p>

<p>With no modifier, the 120J is a small, harsh source that creates hard shadows … however, there are numerous modifiers to help control whatever Lighting effect you may want. For example, bare-bulb speed-lights work better in umbrellas than standard Speed-lights. The problem with bare-bulb units with their parabolic reflector like the 120J, is you can bounce them, but you cannot also throw light forward to fill shadows.</p>

<p>BTW, most modifiers from Quantum fit the 120J. </p>