Have you worked with models who know how to pose?

MichaelChang

<p>Photographers are expected to know their stuff even when shooting casually if it involved other people as subjects, but it seems as though posing for (non-professional) models is not an expectation which seems odd to me. </p>

<p>I won't trivialize the art of posing, but it seems to me it's something every model, amateur or aspiring professional, should put in an effort toward if they want to be in front of a camera, and not all that difficult if they practice; someone who knows how to pose according to a shoot can make a world of difference to the outcome. </p>

<p>What has been your experience, and do you share the same feeling about models posing? </p>

<p>My experience is that the photographer's job is both eaiser and harder if the model is experienced.</p>

<p>Easier in the sense that an experienced model knows what is expected, and harder in the sense that an experienced model expects far more from the photographer.</p>

<p>I also found that models who have received formal dance (ballet) training are easier to work with. They understand the importance of body line, and more readily adopt poses requested by the photographer.</p>

<p>I think that expecting/demanding that <em>'every model, amateur or aspiring professional'</em> should be able to 'pose' is unrealistic, and should even practice for, only serves to take away the responsibility of the photographer to create an atmosphere which inspires the 'model' into <em>'the art of posing'</em> ( another highly unrealistic statement)</p>

<p>A/most 'models' merely are well willing persons who are prepared to stand in front of the camera of the photographer, even despite feeling awkward while doing so.<br>

It's the photographers job to make them feel more at ease, less fixated on (and paralyzed by) the camera, and to establish some kind of 'click' between them and the photographers which will make the feel more relaxed.</p>

<p>Unfortunately most 'photographers' think that getting a 'model' in front of the camera suffices, and that merely pointing the camera will create the 'magic' which will make the subject know how to 'pose',or allow them to demand the model how to know how to pose.<br>

While in the meantime, especially with DSLR's, the 'photographer hides behind the camera, lurking silently through the lens, while before, during and after almost every shot digging through and adjusting the settings and menus, and chimping and zooming in on the picture on the LCD.<br />Add to that the only too often given 'instruction' <em>No not that, do something different</em> and you have a recipe for failure.</p>

<p>My experience (based on many years and experience with fashion photography on a, dare I say, more advanced level http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/fashion_root ) is that you even when working with a 'professional' model, you very rarely meet 'models' who know how to really 'pose' in a fluid, natural way.<br>

Most have a standard repertoire of often very stereotypical poses (hand in hair, bending backward, etc), with which many (amateur) photographers are very easily satisfied with (and which contributes to the many stereotypical 'model' photo's on the internet), which has to be broken through to eventually get something more original.</p>

<p>If you shoot non pro models but with a specific, related to their profession, intention for the pictures, that's much easier. There usually is a 'stereotypical' look that already exists with that profession (actor, lawyer, bank manager, even 'hipster entrepreneur') which the subject already has in the back of his mind, which the photographer should be aware of, and try to emulate, and 'simply' make his models 'pose' in that way.</p>

<p>I e..g. took these pictures at a 'fantasy' event (love to shoot 'fantasy, even if just for fun, actually more fun then fashion, thanks to much less battles between egos, and lack of presumptuousness). Obviously the 'models were mere visitors who dressed up for the event, silently hoping to end up with a few nice pictures, and in no way professional or experienced models.<br>

But despite only having maybe 3 to 5 minutes for a 'session', taking the time to learn about the 'character' they were playing, and allowing them to 'do their thing' while gently correcting them (without halting them) during the shoot resulted in these pictures http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/20160828_abunai</p>

<p>I think that if a photographer goes into a shoot, he should have done his homework and already have an idea what he thinks he's going to shoot, even if during the shoot he might change/adjust his original idea.<br>

Part of that preparation is collecting some examples as a visual orientation for the model, not only for the posing, but also clothes and make up (only too often the 'photographer' thinks asking the model to take along 'something' will suffice to 'exactly' get what he - without saying it out loud - had in mind).<br>

This 'starting point' is IMO crucial as it will give the model a point of reference what the pictures are hopefully going to look like, what to do, how to dress, etc.</p>

<p>However, it should be very important that the photographer also keeps his own creative and other limitations in mind too.<br>

Just having the latest camera, sharpest lens, most megapixels, and biggest flash around is no guarantee for a successful shoot, it's only the technical side of it.<br>

And getting a set of examples of pictures of a level which is way beyond the abilities and level of the 'photographer' is just as contra productive, since the photographer will during the shoot get only revealed as another 'emperor without clothes' very fast (Guess that's the downside of todays camera LCD's).<br>

And I'm not even talking about the logistics (right location, transport, maybe a MUA, stylist, lighting equipment, necessary to achive a certain look/technical level) and if lacking, possibly making it next to impossible to recreate that 'beautiful moodboard' thought out beforehand.</p>

<p>So yes, of course a lever of technical competence and mastery is required, and having decent equipment will help making an already good (creatively) picture even better.<br>

But apart from the techie stuff, it's just as, if not even more important, to be creative and, since you're working with other people, to be able to communicate and inspire, and in a very practical way to coach the model/subject/person in front of the camera.<br>

And to push the release button in the right moment when that 'click' between the model and photographer appears and capture the moment.<br>

If you can't do that, or don't try doing it, IMO you have little reason to make all kind demands of your 'model'.</p><div>00e8W7-565338284.jpg.ac17225279f9c68e147c874829bc60e6.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p><em> Basically every time they hear the shutter they switch up their pose, makes it very easy to get a huge variety of images quickly.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>The mark of a professional model, just as what's expected of a professional photographer.</p>

<p>I do understand the process of working with amateurs, but it'd still be nice if they'd take the time to learn their craft even at a basic level using something like the video below as a guide - it can transform how they look on camera in very short order, and mutually take on the challenge with the photographer.<br>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTS5NP0FbXQ">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTS5NP0FbXQ</a></p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>I've worked with a lot of professional models and the difference is drastic: professional models know their angles, know the difference between fashion, commercial and creative, know how to work with clothing, etc. It's basically acting in a way - a good model needs to be able to take on a character or act completely natural (depending on a task). However, it's up to you or your creative director to communicate the idea to the model. It's also good to have a mood board or a lose posing sheet. Generally, you can tell the model something like "I'm going for a high-fashion edgy look" and she'll give you sharp, high-fashion poses.</p>