Hasselblad maintenance

brent_bousquet

<p>I picked up a hasselblad 1000f with the tessar lens. I know people say its not the best but it was $30. The lens seems clear but I'm not sure if theres a definitive way to tell. I can hear a bit of what I imagine must be dust when I focus it. Is the dust in the lens an issue and if so what should I do? </p>

<p>The shutter does seem to fire although I admit im not that sure what I'm doing and I dont want to jam it. Is there any good videos running through it showing how to use it? </p>

<p>The rest all seems to be there and in really good shape so for $30 I couldn't pass it up even if im used to large format wet plate stuff.</p>

<p>Always advance and cock the shutter when you plan to store the camera. Operate the camera in a slow deliberate and contemplative manner! Do not touch the fragile shutter for any reason. Operate all controls and film loading following all instructions as seen on the internet or obtain a manual of operation. Above, do not force any procedure. These hints also apply to to the 500+ series.</p>

<p>I got some 120 film from my local store and tested it out today so in a week when I get my shots back we will see if its usable. It does seem to have a few quarks though. For instance when I cock the shutter and it advances to the next shot it stops winding the film before it has fully reached the next shot, also the little magnifier keeps falling out every time I try to focus and its a real pain to reach down onto the glass to get it because now I have fingerprints all over the screen.</p><div>00eC9K-566028484.thumb.jpg.7d98984be2a6c3d31486e5a0d3f817ca.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Im really enjoying the camera. Ill post a few of my shots that came out well from the first roll. I was spot on about the malfunctioning film advance though so there where a lot of over lapping frames. I have to check each shot before I shoot to make sure the film is fully advanced, and since i advance it by hand that causes my film counter to be wrong.</p>

<p>Brett,</p>

<p>Get the camera overhauled. In this case a good CLA and have the magazine adjusted too for the overlap issue. SO far it looks pretty good, any light leak? If so get new light seals.<br>

Not sure where you are you located, it would be a hard search for a good repairman willing to work on a pure mechanical camera..<br>

He overhaul both of my 1000F and he has since retired.</p>

<p>Which lenses do you have for this camera? I'm using the 60mm Distagon, 80mm Tessar, 135mm Sonnar and 250mm Sonnar.<br>

Using the NC-2 Prism for its ease of operation & with the correct diopter for my eyes.</p>

<p>Try shooting some color film!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I live in Massachusetts not sure if thats good or bad. There doesnt seem to be any light leaks and the camera just came with the tessar 80mm plus that weird one with no elements in it.<br /> Believe it or not this is my first ever film camera so I figured Id take it slow at first but I will definitely be shooting color soon.<br /> Are there any good resources out there detailing how to adjust things such as the magazine adjustment so I can fix the overlap issues for now. If it helps I work at a restoration shop so I'm no stranger to fixing old expensive and complicated things.</p>

<p>Brent, <br>

I had the original ground glass replaced with a newer version that had a + in the middle. It was brighter, especially using the NC-2 Prism.</p>

<p>For me it as wider view and a corrected view using diopter.</p>

<p>Let me ask around for a good repair shop for you. I will try to take a photo and upload it.</p>

<p>I had a few more rolls developed with mixed results. About half the roll is useless each time which isnt great but when it works man does it take some great shots.</p>

<p>Whats the word on Polaroid backs for the 1000f is there a specific kind that works better?</p>

<p>thanks for asking around Id like to get this thing working properly.</p><div>00eDzx-566325684.thumb.jpg.7a184302454290c8853b8ad6a19ef90c.jpg</div>

<p>Brett,</p>

<p>Sorry, was busy with personal issues.</p>

<p>Here is one individual that i had used to service & CAL my Hasselblad 1000F lenses.</p>

<p>Clarence Gass is his name.<br>

http://gasscamerarepair.com/</p>

<p>Another one is local within the East Coast.<br>

Owner name is Stanislav. He was the former Repair Dept Manager for Kiev USA (Saul Kaminsky)<br>

He also works on the mechanical Hasselblad 1600F & 1000F cameras.<br>

http://mechanicalcamerarepair.com/</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>Brett,</p>

<p>Sorry, was busy with personal issues.</p>

<p>Here is one individual that i had used to service & CAL my Hasselblad 1000F lenses.</p>

<p>Clarence Gass is his name.<br>

http://gasscamerarepair.com/</p>

<p>Another one is local within the East Coast.<br>

Owner name is Stanislav. He was the former Repair Dept Manager for Kiev USA (Saul Kaminsky)<br>

He also works on the mechanical Hasselblad 1600F & 1000F cameras.<br>

http://mechanicalcamerarepair.com/</p>

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. The camera is with

Stanislav being repaired luckily he had ONE parts camera I guess I lucked out hopefully should have it back in a few weeks.