Compulsion!

What is it? I have no use for it. I already have way too many cameras. But.........it is such a deal! Back in 1979 I was selling these for

$200, that's two hundred 1979 dollars! Now it sits, upside down on a shelf, piled in with other junk at a Value Village. A Minolta SRT MC II

mounting a 50 f1.7 Rokkor X.....for $12.99

A quick run through shows functions appear nominal. Meter works, looks like it is about a stop over exposing. The plastic thingy on the

advance lever missing. (What is it about those things?) Body clean, vf clean, lens clean and aperture snappy, can't tell if the flash sync

works till I get it home (it did). So, the compulsion kicked in and I buy it. Now what, oh yeah, needs foam, better get Jon Goodmans email,

by the way, anyone know it, I can't find where I wrote it down. So now I have yet another classic SLR that I probably won't have time to do

much with and will feel guilty whenever I see looking at me from the camera cabinet. Like the title says, compulsion!

<p>We have a spare bedroom. It has become "The Camera Room". I just put in another double shelf unit (there were already 5) which I'm hoping will accommodate the cameras and lenses that are covering up the queen bed. I hope to have that done in the next month.<br>

I think it has to do with what the OP said; "Back in 1979 I was selling these for $200" and now it's <em>only</em> $12.99. Us older guys that remember how expensive camera gear was 'back in the day' feel like we have to buy it at that price. I'll bet the current young generation (<25?) don't have this GAS as bad when to comes to the older stuff. They'll have it 20+ years from now with digital equipment (if it still works). And the working stuff then will not be cheap, simply because it still works.</p>

<p>Just <em>one</em> camera room?</p>

<p>My departed wife used to ask me "where are you going to put it?"</p>

<p>I didn't ask for clarification, because I guessed I knew where she thought I should put it! ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>john: This is the last e-mail address I have for Jon Goodman:<br>

JGood21967 at aol.com<br>

Above may not be current -- it's the address he was using when I ordered my last seal kit, which was back in 2009. Searching through threads at APUG I also found<br /><br>

jon_goodman at yahoo.com<br>

Jon used to sell on eBay under the seller name interslice. I looked there but found nothing for sale. I hope he is still putting together those excellent kits.<br /></p>

Less cost than a Pizza, and less calories...

I grab these whenever seen. I've given many cameras away to people, especially the younger generation, expressing an interest in film. After replacing foam, cleaning contacts, testing functions. That's the fun part- making them usable, making someone happy to get one that works.

<p>Not to discourage you from availing yourself of Jon's services, he's a gentleman to be sure, however in my experience with the SRT series (specifically the 101 and 101b) Minolta's light seals were a form of insurance. I'll replace seals routinely, as required, but in the case of the Minoltas, I read a report a long time ago that they were not critical to excluding light. Some years ago I proceeded to load my own, as found, without replacing the seals in the back, and, sure enough, zero issues with leaks have appeared, despite varied use in a range of light conditions. By all means, change yours, if you're inclined to do so, however I suspect your new acquistion would be OK to use, just as it is.</p>

@ Fred, thanks for the research and info.

@ Brian, yeah, I often think when I see these "Some new photography student could use that". I've given away a number of such

cameras.

@Brett, the light trap is quite narrow with a good fit to the door perhaps I'll clip a 3 inch piece of ISO 400, lay it on the inner rails and then

rotate the camera out in the sunlight, take it back into the darkroom and develop the clip.

@ JDM, you got it bad I can see, now I feel better.

To all who gave sympathy (and warnings of addiction) , thank you.

<p>I recently had an adventure that turned into something quite revealing. I met up with a fellow P-Netter at his house to learn about processing film (Yesssssssss, I'm finally starting at the business end). The trick is to marry a woman that supports the hobby. The house is a wall to wall photo gallery in beautifully framed images and the living parts of the house are adorned with both furniture and cameras mounted on tripods. OMG!!! Where do you find a woman like that?</p>

My lovely bride (of 28 years) is not at all interested in cameras or photography but supports me when I want to buy film or

paper or pick up an orphan camera and take it home. She has her addiction, handbags and purses, and I have mine.

Fortunately both of us share one trait, we are frugal, so not to much income is spent on either.