Your Thoughts / Experience With a Mamiya 50mm C shift Lens

ianbarber

<p>I have seen a Mamiya 50mm C shift Lens for sale which has got me interested for my 645 Pro.<br>

<br>

Currently, I only have the 80mm lens for the camera and sometimes I am finding it a little to long which got me thinking about something a little wider.<br>

<br>

I do have a 24mm PCE lens for my digital setup and I do enjoy using the shift function especially for correcting verticals on buildings which is why I suddenly became interested when noticing the Mamiya 50mm C shift Lens for sale.<br>

<br>

<strong>Thought Process.</strong><br>

Without applying any shift movement, this would give me a wider lens than my current 80mm al-biet not as fast but I use a tripod 99% of the time but at the same time would give me shift for when I need to correct verticals. (Win Win on both accounts, I am thinking.</p>

<p>Would be interested to hear any comments regarding my thought process and also any user experiences with this lens please.<br>

</p>

<p>I have that lens although I don't shoot with a 645 any more. I'm using it on my EOS DSLRs with a lens adapter...works a treat.<br>

A couple of things to consider though. First, the lens is huge, a lot bigger than the standard 55mm wide angle. Also, make sure that you have the right to return the lens as they have a common issue that may or may not be present in the one you're contemplating. The shift movement, no tilt by the way, is activated by a knob the "screws" the lens into the position you need and this movement takes place in a dove tail groove. On some lenses that have seen a lot of use the dove tail groove gets worn and there will be some slop. My lens exhibits this problem but it's not too bad. I understand it can be tightened up but I haven't looked into having mine serviced as yet. <br>

At least on my lens it doesn't seem to affect the images any. But if the lens you're looking at has this problem you at least should get a better price.<br>

As far as a straight wide angle goes, unless you really need the shift, I'd suggest the 55mm or a late 45mm. I had an early 45mm and it wasn't particularly great. My 55mm, latest version, is outstanding.<br>

JD</p>

<p>Obviously the shift functionality is unique in the Mamiya 645 lineup (and no other 645 SLR had a shift lens in their lineup) so if you're a regular shift user, it's a no-brainer.</p>

<p>I would imagine that it will be a somewhat inconvenient general-purpose wideangle, however. Apart from the increased weight and bulk, two other considerations are that:<br>

(1) It does not have automatic aperture control (the shift mechanism prohibits this). You'll notice that the aperture ring is at the front, totally decoupled from the body. <br>

(2) As an essentially 6x7 format lens, starting at f/4 and forced to use a highly retrofocus design to accomodate the extra long effective flange distance, it will not hit peak sharpness until about f/8 - f/11; whereas the late (S or N line) 45mm and 55mm wideangles start at f/2.8, and with a smaller 645 image circle to cover and less retrofocus design, hit peak sharpness by f/5.6.</p>