Chrome polish

johncox

<p>I recently picked up an M2 for about 380 US. The chrome could use some polish, and, side from replacing the leatherette it was a great deal. I've tried 99% alcohol and an eraser. Is there anything else that could shine up the chrome on this bargain? <br>

Thanks in advance<br>

John</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"chrome could use some polish" <em><strong>john c.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've never applied any polishing agents to the <strong>satin</strong> chrome finish of M top & base plates.<br /> It looses original finish and looks like a DIY'r messed with it. Polishing means that you turn the <strong>satin</strong> into <strong>shiny</strong>...</p>

<p>Flitz is a non-abrasive cleaner/polish used on metals. It's great for dressing up stainless steel firearms for display, but I would be reluctant to use it on Leica chrome. Chromium is very hard, as hard as quartz (8 Mohs). Marks in the chrome probably affect the brass substrate, and won't polish out. Think of the damage as battle ribbons.</p>

<p>I also use Renaissance Wax on metal, wood and leather surfaces. Rub it on with a finger, not a cloth, in a very thin layer, then buff it with a soft cloth. It dries hard, and won't transfer to other surfaces. I have never been tempted to use it on a camera, however.</p>

• 3 weeks later...