Nikon F5 AF problem

david_richardson12

<p>Hello I have a great F5, everything is working fine except for the autofocus after I try and aim a second or third time, the first or second attempt always works. I get 2 red triangles at the top of the viewfinder that suggest that the camera can't focus properly. If I switch to manual focus and then go back to an AF mode it works once or twice and then it wont again. It's a very confusing problem. Somebody mentioned recalculate the interface? But I have no idea what that means. Any help would be much appreciated. </p>

<p>Which of the auto focus tracking mode are you using: Continous servo, Single servo, <br>

What Focus area mode: Single area or Dynamic area AF<br>

The the F5 has what they call Scan-Driving. Defocus. This is when Dynamic focus is selected and your prime focus point changes and the camera Scan-Driving to the next possible focus point of the five. if the subject can not be tracked or is out of range it reports unable to focus. EV has an effect here also.<br>

Hope this is not boring.<br>

- - - - - <br>

I believe the '"recalculate the interface " might refer to the PC software that was an option for the F5 and others; Photo Secretary . You could deselect focus areas using the software. Another software was availlable but not updated since 2005 from www.holymoose.com. Need a specific cable to connect PC to camera, it is hard to come by.<br>

Photo Secretary is avail on Ebay and they are probably illegal copies.<br>

As to the cable they are avail also on Ebay or you can build one. Instructions can be fund via Google search.<br>

Last option is a recently release version with USB interface to F5 from Promote Systems www.meta35.com<br>

<br />Marc</p>