San Francisco in the thirties--Dorothea Lange...

deantaylor

>During the Great Depression, Langue took her camera out of the studio and onto the streets to document the country for the Farm Security Administration....Among the cities Lange focused her lens on was San Francisco, where she made over 100 photos for the FSA between 1935 and 1939.

http://petapixel.com/2016/03/23/san-francisco-great-depression-photos-dorothea-lange/

<p>Thanks Dean. Dorothea Lange surely deserves being mentioned too after the previous FSA related photographers, which have been discussed in the Casual forum the last weeks. She was renowned not only for this documentary series, but also for her series on the imprisonment of Japanese American families during the Second World War. Another very fine photographer. </p>

<p>It is interesting to see that Dorothea Lange actually started shooting photos of the great depression victims as an assistant to her husband, Paul Schuster Taylor, who was a progressive agricultural economist and Professor at Berkeley University (for forty years). All his publications (after 1934) on the sharecroppers, tenant farmers and migrant farmworkers during the depression were written in collaboration with his wife. A uniquely informed documentary photography project.</p>

I was alive and seven years old living on the SFO penninsula in 1939. I have a couple of very clear large

negatives of my mother from that era. My father was a champion outboard motor boat racer then. We were

affected by the depression and lived on Mac and cheese when money was low.

Anders. My actual experience in the depression and later in AF Survival school is that if you are seriously hungry

you will eat anything that doesn't choke you. The only thing I know about diet is that whatever I have eaten so

far hasn't killed me yet and I will be 84 soon. What I do know is that today I swam a mile as I do and have done t

three times a week for over nine years. That does make me hungry enough to eat Mac and Cheese.

• 1 month later...