Film developing

<p>I recently pulled an old Nikon FE out of a box in my basement, and a Yashika medium format. I'd like to shoot a few rolls and see how they are working. The last time I used the Nikon, I was shooting Kodachrome, which I know is no longer produced. I plan on ordering some 135 and 120, 160 Portra. Can anyone tell me the best place to get this film developed? I understand Kodak no longer has labs. Can I drop 135 and 120 C-41 off anywhere, or should I send it to a specific lab? Thanks in advance for any advice.</p>

<p>C41 film can be dropped just about anywhere that still does film.</p>

<p>I would try to find a better than average lab, though. For develop only, or develop and scan, the prices aren't all that high. There are still labs around meant for pros. </p>

<p>Before you use them, though, try the shutter with the back open, and see if the times are about right.</p>

<p>The FE2 seems to have a feature that it doesn't shoot at the set shutter speed until the counter gets to 1, which it doesn't do with the back open. That makes it harder. I don't know if the FE has that un-feature.</p>

-- glen

<p>Be careful to find someplace that will <strong>return the negatives</strong>. Wal-Mart, for instance, will develop the film, and return prints and/or a CD with scans, and will <strong>throw out the negatives</strong>.<br>

If you bought the Portra at a retail camera store, ask them where to bring it locally.<br>

Good mail-order labs include <a href="https://www.dwaynesphoto.com">Dwayne's Photo</a> and <a href="http://www.northcoastphoto.com">North Coast Photo Services</a>.</p>