What would you want from a Nikon FX mirrorless?

Ian Rance

<p>Forgive me if my quick scanning of this thread missed mention of this. My concern about mirrorless is all about ergonomics, the current cameras have evolved straight from ones that were very well suited to using when held up to your eye, they are not well designed to be held at some distance away from your body.</p>

<p>So if Nikon was to go for a serious Pro FX mirrorless, I'd suggest its time to incorporate ease of use into the design, make it easy to hold away from your body and give it the advantage of being able to be operated comfortably at anywhere between waist and eye level.</p>

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Holding a camera at arm's length to shoot hardly qualifies as "ergonomic." Holding a camera to your eye is not only more intuitive, but contact with your face and hands adds a lot of stability and excludes most extraneous light. My camera has both an eye level finder and an articulating rear screen, which can be used interchangeably. I use the screen to review images, but can count on one hand the situations I've used it to take pictures, mainly at ground level, for studio closeups and copying flat work.</p>

<p><em>Holding a camera at arm's length to shoot hardly qualifies as "ergonomic."</em> That's right Edward, just as I said before. Holding a camera that has been specifically designed to hold up to your eye is not just intuitive it is logical. Similarly if you tried to use a medium format camera with a waste level finder in the same way that you used a DSLR it would be counter-intuitive and illogical.</p>

<p>I have 2 mirrorless cameras, a Fuji X100, and even though it has a good range of viewfinder options, increasingly, I find myself using it at arm's length, just like a phone (my other mirrorless camera). Interestingly phones don't give you an option to put them up to your eye and because they're now the most used cameras, staring at screens is probably more intuitive and automatic than looking through a view finder.</p>

<p>I don't shoot video but given that virtually all cameras these days have that option, the easiest way to see just how badly designed cameras are, you just have to look at all the bolt-on bits and pieces, like follow-focus, matte box, shoulder rig and stabilisers, that are needed to make your camera perform in an optimum way.</p>