Nikon d7200 Drop In Prices

douglasely

<p>I am close to replacing my D300 and will most likely go with a D7200. To my surprise, when I went on line I came up with prices that were quite varied. Some are under $900. Two months ago all of the on-line prices were very similar ($1,250). My question is, do you think this may indicate that Nikon "may" be close to releasing a replacement? Why are the prices dropping so much in the past 14 days?</p>

<p>Any thoughts about the advertising in the following 4 links are appreciated. Of note: I have not read the fine print in these adds.</p>

<p>I think that photo.net asks us to provide store links, rather than name store names. Should I be wrong, please advise.</p>

<p>https://www.42ndphoto.com/Product/nikon-d7200-24-2-megapixel-digital-camera-body-only-/113331</p>

<p>http://www.troniccity.com/cc/product_info.php?products_id=424643</p>

<p>http://americancameracompany.com/index.php?id_product=968&controller=product</p>

<p>http://www.njaccessory.com/store/product_info.php?csv=gg&products_id=224836</p>

<p>http://deltacloseouts.com/details/56193?gclid=CjwKEAjwhdOwBRDFsYTfhvzX1hYSJAAfCUcLXqoBUeu1m9pk_7BIl-2LuQ3FigHDI5dPr4ufpf8FLxoCW83w_wcB</p>

<p>Thank you, Doug</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The D7200 is the most recent DSLR Nikon has introduced. I think they will update the Df before the D7200. :-) Most likely those deals are gray-market cameras or even bait-and-switch outfits.</p>

<p>Nikon introduced the D7200 at $1200 on March 1: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00d9nd<br>

The price has dropped by $100 now: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127271-REG/nikon_1554_d7200_dslr_camera_body.html<br>

If you can wait another month or two, perhaps there will be some further discounts around Thanksgiving and early December, but there is no guarantee. I would pay attention to "Black Friday" (Nov 27 this year in the US) deals.</p>

<p>Perhaps it is different in the US, but I have only ever had complete satisfaction with buying grey market cameras. The only time I purchased a UK stock D800 from Amazon and it was faulty I sent it back as directed and was then contacted to say that it was not received (yet it was signed for). I was not happy, very poor service, horrible correspondence. Yet when my grey D7000 had a problem in the year warranty I sent it back to a local address and a new one was with me within 3 days with a M&S voucher for £10. When it needed repair after the warranty Nikon UK fixed it themselves good as new and no comment or complaint.</p>

<p>Over the years, I have purchased several gray-market Nikon lenses, mainly from B&H, and all of them are problem free. The problem in the US is that reliable stores such as Adorama, Amazon, and B&H, etc. do not sell gray-market Nikon DSLRs. B&H and Adorama only sell gray lenses, flashes, and some other accessories.</p>

<p>When the price differential is huge, it maybe worthwhile to try gray-market Nikon bodies, but you need to figure out whether the seller is trust-worthy or not. And of course Nikon USA will never (knowingly) repair those cameras. If they malfunction 2, 3 years down the road, getting them repaired can be a bit of an issue. In my case, I have been using DSLRs since 2002 and so far, my D750 is the first one that has ever gone back to Nikon for repair. Its GPS connection was not working out of the box. Therefore, I am not that concerned about repairs.</p>

<p><i>If</i> a price drop on the D7200 is indicative of anything about Nikon's product plans, I strongly doubt it'll be a replacement for the D7200, which I believe is reasonably well-received and is certainly very recent. There is a very tiny chance that Nikon might respond to the 7D2, but then we've been talking about a D300s (or possibly D2x) successor since the D800 came out, if not before, so I'm not holding my breath. Even if I were, I'd probably expect the Christmas rush to get out of the way before Nikon rolls out anything new, and the 2016 Olympics suggests that the D4s replacement is probably on the horizon. Should something DX and above the D7200 appear, I'd vaguely expect it to be priced highly enough not to compete with the D7200 - but then I don't believe the sensor is the primary defining feature of a camera, especially in DX, and nor do I believe that DX is only a budget alternative to FX, so I seem to have less aversion than most to a professional DX body that costs more than, say, the D610. Which is, incidentally, quite old now, if we're talking "bodies due a replacement"; should Nikon replace the D610, I'll be interested to see if they go up (better AF, closer to the D750) or down (pentamirror, no AF motor, cheaper) in positioning.<br />

<br />

But I know nothing, of course.</p>

<p>Just picked up a USA D7200 body from B&H for $1096. Had a $45 credit on their gift card program and got another 4% on another gift card for a future purchase. No sales tax and no shipping costs. Got a couple chotchkies such as a 16 gig SD card and camera bag. (Gave to my daughter.) Except for the 6 FPS, the sharpness and dynamic range are pretty awesome. </p>

Those stores are all terrible. You'll order the camera and then get a call from somebody telling you you'll need to spend

more for the battery, charger, kit of 15 filters made by a company you've never heard of and to have the camera shipped

in a box instead of tossed on to your porch from the street by one of the motorcycle gang members who recently got out

on parole after the shootout in Waco, and when you get the camera it won't have a warranty. Lord help you if there's a

problem and you have to return it.

Just order from a good store or buy locally.

<p>In the "For What It Is Worth" category . . .</p>

<p>I'm most likely following Chun's lead and waiting for Black Friday.<br>

<br />Also took Eric's advice and went to resellerratings.com. With the exception of Troniccity.com each of the sellers has some review complaints. Tronic City however, has a stellar review (10 out of 10). If I were anxious to pull the trigger I would order from them. I'll certainly keep the name filed away in the back of my mind.</p>

<p>It is rare that I don't buy from B&H but this most likely will be an exception. I've shopped there for years and I've always been happy.</p>

<p>Andy, I hear you. I'm more than aware of the many horror stories. Plenty of jerks out there trying to take advantage of others. However, when doing my homework (thanks again Eric), Tronic City stood out above the crowd.</p>

<p>Thank you to all for sharing your thoughts, it is appreciated.</p>

<p>Best, Doug</p>

<p>"It is rare that I don't buy from B&H but this most likely will be an exception. I've shopped there for years and I've always been happy."</p>

<p>Isn't that a contradiction in common sense.? You are risking $800 with a grey market camera to save $200? And 10 positive reviews mean nothing considering that they were probably written by shills. Show me a couple of thousand positive reviews and I will begin to take a place seriously.</p>

<p>And - even if the reviews were legit, do you know what the reviewers actually bought. A highly sophisticated computer in a box that you can fit a lens on or a box of clean wipes?</p>

<p>Buy elsewhere at your own risk.</p>

<p>Shun, I could not disagree with you more. Five recent ratings - from July to September. The time period is as valuable as the number of ratings. If there were problems in that period many people would have identified them. For you to state that the ratings is meaningless, is well . . . meaningless.</p>

<p>" If there were problems in that period many people would have identified them. For you to state that the ratings is meaningless, is well . . . meaningless."</p>

<p>Oh puleeees - those 5 ratings were probably written by the owner of the company. You are naive to rely on 5 ratings It <strong>is</strong> the number of reviews, not the calendar days in which written that matters. Shun's comment echoed mine before his. 5 or 10 reviews are the real definition of meaningless. Ratings sites have been circumvented for years by shills who write fictitious reviews. Why do you think that Amazon and other reputable sites use "verified purchaser" labels on reviews from people who really did buy the product. I won't bother to even scan a company with less than 1,000 reviews. </p>

<p>Douglas, I would not even spend your money @ troniccity. They have a lowball price and virtually no known genuine reviews. They have done done nothing to earn the business. But its your money..... think about this before you give it away. </p>

<p>I don't think any authorized Nikon USA dealer is allowed to sell the D7200 for below $1096.95 at this point, which is $100 lower than the introductory price earlier this year. That is why B&H, Adorama, etc. are all selling at the price. However, those stores do give you some free accessories.</p>