Simple Math help please...

pgavalis

<p>Please don't judge...so I am bad at simple math or conversions when it comes to lenses and adapters.<br>

I currently have lens sizes:<br>

49mm, 52, 58, and 77.<br>

I have filter sizes:<br>

49, 58, 67. The 67's were not cheapo. </p>

<p>Can someone PLEASE tell me what filter adapter sizes I need to maximize my use for the filters/lenses I have? Can I use smaller filters on bigger lenses? If so, what are my limits? And Vice/Versa? Yes, I know it may seem simple to most of you but I get lost in translation, so to speak. </p>

<p>I also found a set of K&F adapter rings from 52-77mm with a single thread on them and have zero clue as to how to use them and/or can't even remember why I bought them. Seriously, I feel very insecure right now and as much as I enjoy sarcasm and friendly banter, please keep it simple...but feel free to express yourselves;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The 67mm filters can be used on the following lenses (filter thread sizes) with adapter rings: 49, 52 & 58mm</p>

<p>The 58mm filters can be used on the following lenses with adapter: 49 & 58mm</p>

<p>Any of the above filters, if used on the 77mm lens would probably vignette the picture, ie cut off the edges (just hold it in place and you can see the effect. For that reason it is generally not wise to use a smaller filter on a larger diameter lens (there are exceptions, but I won't go into them here).</p>

<p>If your filter adapter rings have a smaller thread sticking out the rear and a larger internal thread in the front...what I said above will work for you. That is probably the kind you have. </p>

<p>Thanks Stephen! I understand/remember the vignetting now. The adapters I have are one sided, with thread only to the rear with no other sizes on them, i.e.. 52mm, and that's it. </p>

<p>So am I safe in saying that I need adapters ranging in size from a 67 to 49, 67 to 52, 67 to 58 etc?</p>

<p>Pete - are you saying there aren't any internal threads on the front of the adapter rings? Very old ones from the 1950s sometimes didn't have internal threads on the front, you just force fit the filters in, but those are pretty unusual these days. Double check that something isn't screwed into the front of your adapter rings. I didn't bother to ask...but just to clarify I will now....do your filters have external threads on their rear and internal threads on their front (most modern ones do - some very old ones don't have any threads, but were sandwiched into an adapter which had a retainer ring on the front). Also some old adapter rings were force fit around the perimeter of the lens itself....these usually used "series" filters rather than ones marked in mm.</p>

<p>Anyway, to answer your question, you could go with one 67mm adapter ring for each size to the lens size..that is the easiest for using the 67mm filters on all lenses. But you did say you have 4 different filter sizes, and you could easily continue to use those filters on the appropriate lenses without additional expense. I, personally, would determine if there were 67mm filters I wanted to use on other size lenses which didn't duplicate what I already had in the correct size, and only get adapters for those situations I really needed or expected to use.</p>

<p>The concept might be clearer to understand and the purchase of the correct items might be easier for you if the technically correct terminology is used.<br>

What you require are "<strong>Step-Up</strong> Rings/Adapters" or "<strong>Step-Up</strong> Filter Rings/Adapters"</p>

<p>There are quite a few types of "Adapters" that "adapt" to lenses and the differentiation between them might be causing you confusion.</p>

<p>A "Step Up" Ring/Filter Adapter has TWO threads:<br>

> the smaller thread is a MALE thread and it screws into the front end of the lens (the lens has a female thread). <br>

> the larger thread on the Step Up ring is a FEMALE thread and it allows the male thread of the FILTER to screw into it.</p>

<p>Looking from the back of the camera, (where the viewfinder is) and along the lens you will see the "Step Up" of this ‘adapter’ - hence its name: “Step-Up Ring”<br>

Using "Step-Up" Rings/Filter Adapters, you can always use a LARGER diameter (screw in) FILTER on any lens’s smaller diameter filter thread.<br>

<br>

For example, your 67mm FILTER can be used on you lenses with 49mm 52mm and 58mm threads and for that you would require the following Step Up Rings, respectively:<br>

49>67<br>

52>67<br>

58>67 (mm)</p>

<p>Sometimes a large step cannot be attained by one Step-Up Ring; in this circumstance you might need to use two by stacking them; also you might save money and buy fewer Step-Up Rings by first considering the possibilities of stacking them for your particular kit. <br>

For example if you buy - <br>

. one 49>58 Step Up Ring <br>

. one 52>58 Step Up Ring<br>

. one 58>67 Step Up Ring<br>

you can accommodate the 67mm filter on your 49mm lens by stacking two rings (49>58 + 58>67)<br>

you can accommodate the 67mm filter on your 52mm lens by stacking two rings (52>58 + 58>67)<br>

thus not requiring the purchase of either a 49>67 or a 52>67 Step Up Ring.</p>

<p>However, note that stacking the Step Up Rings extends the filter further out from the front of the lens and this might cause an optical vignette (usually only a problem for UWA lenses). These are the two most common issues:<br>

The larger the gap between the front element of the lens and the filter can cause a greater risk of VEILING FLARE and/or GHOST IMAGES.</p>

<p>V. Flare is caused by internal bouncing around of the light in the lens (in this case bouncing off the front of the lens to the rear of the filter and then back through the lens).<br>

G. Image is a clear image, usually of single bright aspect of the scene, e.g. a lamplight, which is reflected back to the sensor or film, in this case, from the rear of the filter. </p>

<p>WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>am I safe in saying that I need adapters ranging in size from a <strong>67 to 49</strong>, 67 to 52, 67 to 58 etc?</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Warning:</strong></p>

<p>No - that is not at all safe. What you are describing are Step DOWN Rings and you run the risk of ordering/purchasing the incorrect product.<br>

<br>

When describing Filter Rings/Adapters the LENS diameter is the first mentioned. It would be safe to use the term “Step Up” also.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>How well a step-down ring would work would could depend a lot on the lens it's being used. Wide angle lenses tend to be much more sensitive to vignetting, where even a <strong><em>properly</em></strong> sized filter's ring can appear in the corner of the image (this is why they have those slim filters). <br>

A fairly obvious down-side of step-up adapters would be incompatibility with lens hoods.</p>

<p>Okay Okay....my bad. Yes, laziness took over and I am very much talking about step-up/down rings and I think with ALL of your help I am good to go. Sorry about that...as much as I love photography, I don't pay much attention to technically proper terminology as long as I know what I mean :)</p>

<p>And John, you nailed it! The flat/plain flange were for the filters, which I JUST found in a drawer. I was totally dumbfounded but, it was a bad year. </p>

<p>Thanks again for your help! Now I am about to open up another can of worms with another post. Sigh.</p>