B+W 0.3 ND2 Single Coated vs Multi Coated filter

tim_t5

<p>Hi<br>

Thanks once again in advance for your help.</p>

<p>I am looking for a ND 0.3 ND2 Filter to use with my Nokton 50mm F/1.5 & Zeiss 1.5 ZM on Leica Body.<br>

Wondering if you guys can shed some light on Single coated ND vs Multi Coated Nd.<br>

Knowing the fact that multi can help with flare etc, having said that modern lenses are also coated well and single coat nd can do allrite? <br>

Please note that this is pure for knowledge purposes and price different between is not very signf.</p>

<p>I Generally shoot wide open and need it for a walk around in bright days.</p>

<p>Thanks again</p>

<p>T</p>

Coatings (single or multi) repress reflections. Every single surface, or rather: every single transition from one medium to another medium having a different refraction index, will produce reflections. So though the surfaces of all lens elements may be coated already, the coating on the filter is needed to reduce the reflections both surfaces of the filter produces.<br><br>That's the theory. In practice the difference in effect between coatings (single, multi and variants of multi) is very small. The difference between uncoated and (single) coating is much larger.<br><br>So single coated filters will do quite well.<br>But not because a lens it will be used on is already coated.

<p>Indeed its very kind of you. so you recommend that single coated ND2 should do allright, I am not a pro and i dont make my living on photography however i always try to get the right stuff i can.</p>

<p>Would i be easily able to tell the diff on single coated nd vs mrc on nokton 50mm 1.5?<br>

thanks </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Would i be easily able to tell the diff on single coated nd vs mrc on nokton 50mm 1.5?<br /> thanks</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Probably not, but multicoated is better in that it will flare less in certain conditions. I think a way to look at this is to think about how much of the time will you spend with the ND on the lens. If it is a lot then I'd get the MC, if rarely, then the single coated may be better for you.</p>

Robin Smith

• 3 weeks later...

<p>For a filter, there is light that reflects of the second (inner) surface, back through the filter, reflects off the outer surface, back through the filter, and into the lens.</p>

<p>For a clear filters, such as UV or skylight, you get even numbers of reflections. </p>

<p>Uncoated glass reflects about 4% at each reflection, so two will be about 0.16%.</p>

<p>Single coating with MgF2 is about 1% each, or 0.01% for two.</p>

<p>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating#Single-layer_interference</p>

<p>But in the case on an ND filter, the reflections also make two passes through the filter.<br>

For ND 0.3, the reflections, in addition to the 0.01%, decreases by another two stops, so 0.0025%.</p>

<p>For ND 1.0, the reflections are reduced by a factor of 100, so 0.0001%</p>

<p>Seems to me that you are pretty safe with single coated ND filters, but for other filters multicoating is more important.</p>

<p> </p>

-- glen

• 2 months later...

<p>Most of my filters are B+W MRC. That's only partly because they are multi-coated- I'm quite prepared to believe that the difference between a single and multi-coated filter will often be insignificant image quality-wise. Where it does score however is the need for and ease of cleaning. The MRC versions are supposed to repel some dirt/moisture but are certainly easier and faster to clean. I use filters quite a bit near the sea and the ease of getting spray, the odd fingermark etc off is useful to me. Certainly worth the £40-£50 extra MRC costs for my 77mm filters that are probably going to be with me for ten years or more. <br>

Picking up on another issue raised in this thread, I rarely use or indeed carry lens hoods. They'll tend to be along on a trip but left in the car/hotel unless its raining, for my primary use is to help keep rain off the front element. I'm alert to the possibility of flare and use a whole raft of things that I actually have to have with me- like a map/book/hat or my wife to keep sun from striking the front element. I photograph from shade whenever I can. Not saying I get zero flare - though lens-hoods aren't always helpful anyway- but I don't get a lot. </p>

I didn't know the multi coated filters would be easier to clean. Right now I'm in the market for a 6 stop nd. Have been looking at

the b+w non--mrc version which sells for $73. But also ran upon these nd filters by a company called Breakthrough

Photography. They have a 6 stop with the MRC for $99 then a more expensive version that uses Short glass for $170. I was

leaning towards the B+W because of the price and their use of Shott glass even on the $73 version. But having a filter that is

easier to clean would be a big plus as well.

<p>Can't recommend Breakthrough Photography's filters for the simple reason I haven't used them or seen assessments from people who have . Their site certainly sound confident and they charge a lot, but I can't say whether they are better than B+W or not. I can say that I don't feel a need for anything better than B+W with MRC coating. The brass fittings work well, don't bind. I can't see any difference in image quality with or without a filter, and as I say their easier to keep clean. So for me I'm struggling to work out what someone else might do to make a premium price worthwhile. I will say that B+W along with others struggle to make a dense ND filter (I have the 10 stop) without some colour alteration and I haven't tried their 6 stop. </p>

<p>I read some of the Breakthrough Photography filter reviews, but they seem to come across as being a little biased or sponsored by the company. Not sure how objective they really are, as at the bottom you see all these links to order their filters. That's not to say their filters may not be very good however, and I certainly hope to see the company succeed. I do know with B+W there is no doubt about their quality. I've had good experiences with both their 10 stop ND and circular polarizer. I even recently bought their four filter pouch to keep them in. So I'll probably go with B+W for my 6 stop. </p>