which historical process should i use?

Hi All

I’m doing my last year of undergrad photography program. I’m taking a course that we basically get to choose a historical photographic process to create photos. Now my question is where can I find a list of all the processes and can you also let me know which one would be better in regards to finding chemicals and me being able to experiment in my house instead of having to go to the school dark room everytime. Since I’m doing my last year, I’m also very busy with thesis project so as much as i want to have fun with this course, it is important is doesn’t take as much time and work and it’s something i can do at home..

Thanks in advance

<p>I'd say to focus on printing processes. Image capture ones are much harder, some use very dangerous chemistry.<br>

Gum Bichromate printing is very practical at home. Just find an old UV exposure box on eBay. Or you can use the sun to do exposure, if it's reliably available. A very painterly process. But I would note that if you're a little on the obsessive-compulsive side, it can drive you crazy, since it's hard to get repeatable results.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here's the website you want: </p>

<p>http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/</p>

<p>Here is where you can get the chemicals and kits for the differing processes:</p>

<p>https://www.bostick-sullivan.com</p>

<p>The people at B&S are very nice and will provide help if you have questions. Just give them a call.</p>

<p>To me, one of the most interesting processes is the original photo process: the salt print. The only chemicals are silver nitrate, salt and fixer. You can expose using the sun or a UV unit. Most salt prints are POP, but I've seen some beautiful Develop Out Prints as well--which greatly speeds up the process. </p>

<p>You might also check out APUG.org for references:</p>

<p>http://www.apug.org/forums/forum13/</p>

<p>Have fun with the project. </p>

<p>Allen</p>

<p>I agree with all of above. The simplest and easiest process I would say is cyanotype printing, using a computer to make large "negatives" on OHP transparency material from conventionally-shot pictures, but virtually any historic image capture or printing process can be re-created, up to and including wet-collodion negatives (messy and awkward) and daguerrotypes (messy, awkward and involving quite toxic materials, but of all image capture methods potentially the most interesting and recognisably different from modern processes).</p>

<p>I'm gonna go with a printing process. Gum Bichromate seems very interesting. I have done cyanotypes before and I'm not a big fan. I rather do something I haven't done before to make everything fun and a bit challenging at the same time. I'm gonna check salt prints too. I'm in Canada and I'm not sure where I can get the chemicals from. Any other suggestions? As I said it would help a lot if the process is something I can do at home. <br>

Larry; I just PMed you. </p>