Dead Pentax Lenses - DA*50-135, and DA* 16-50

foleydog

<p>With my K20D purchase years ago, I bought these (Pentax PE50135DA SMCP-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM Autofocus Lens for Digital SLR, Pentax PE165028DA SMCP-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED SDM Lens) fast zoom lenses. Both my lenses failed like so many others did. Unfortunately, I was traveling a lot and not on the 'net, so I was unaware of the widespread failure of these lenses.<br>

Clearly I'll never get the $1400 dollars back spent on these lenses. But I also get no use out of them. Is it worth repairing before sale, or should I sell them and leave the repair to the buyer?<br>

I'm cleaning out the camera closet and these sit on my desk as reminders of a bad purchase.<br>

Thoughts?</p>

<p>Well, there is a market for those lenses even with dead SDM, but the going price will be lower than if its working. And the 16-50's aren't in real high demand right now, even with working SDM I've seen them sell used for around $400. The 50-135 remains a lens that people like a lot.<br>

It is possible to convert them to "screw-drive only" by hacking the firmware, and although I would be leery of trying it myself, some people have reported success. KEH also will repair the broken SDM at a rate that some people have reported as reasonable. I suspect it would be more economical to repair or convert before selling, but I don't know for sure.</p>

<p>"<em>I'm cleaning out the camera closet and these sit on my desk as reminders of a bad purchase</em>."<br /> <br /> I think only the first few batches of these lenses had a high failure rate. What I didn't like is the way Pentax handled the whole thing. Instead of a massive recall, they decided to only fix the ones that were returned to them and were still under warranty. This left owners of these lenses bitter wondering when they would be next. Not a good feeling after paying all of that money.</p>

<p>The reason many people purchased these lenses is because they are convenient, cover a wide range and optically they are really good. With just 2 lenses you can probably shoot an entire wedding, or be set for travel !</p>

<p>Not only that, the f2.8 max aperture is really nice to have. I stayed away from those lenses because I wanted to travel small(primes small zooms) and because of the horror stories that were posted all over the web about them. </p>

<p>To me, those lenses were just too BIG for Pentax lenses, although I plan on getting a 60-250mm later on this year for the reach and convenience.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I was in that early batch. They failed early, but past the warranty deadline. I've loved Pentax for years, but this has very much soured me on the experience. I'll probably move to Canon, but in the meantime this glass sits on my desk haunting me. I'll have to look into the cost of repair and hopefully I can sell the repaired kit.</p>

<p>As Nick mentioned, many people with failed SDM who are not prepared to have it repaired out of warranty have converted the lenses to screw-dirve by backing up, and then altering the firmware in the lens.<br>

http://www.pentaxiste.org/pratique/depannage/article/how-to-deactivate-sdm-and-allow<br>

http://www.pentaxiste.org/pratique/depannage/article/how-to-deactivate-sdm-and-allow-386<br>

While it is not difficult, it does require a comfort level and knowledge of computers, firmware, and some program editing to have confidence in the process. Mistakes can be problematic. However, the lenses themselves then work quite fine, and are quick to focus, albeit with typical screw drive noise levels. Selling prices are reflective of usable SDM or not though. As Nick also stated, used DA* 16-50's have begun to drop more in price over the past year with some of the available alternatives, while the DA* 50-135 has continued to maintain most of it's used value. </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Well... Long story short, repairs of the lenses would cost $300. According to local camera shops, I could sell the lenses for $300. They don't work with Manual Focus. I'm thinking I may toss them and chalk it up to a *very* bad experience.</p>

• 3 months later...