Lens types

don_myers1

<p>I've noticed some here shoot using "Limited" edition lenses, and have wondered regarding the quality... I was told that the DA* lenses were Pentax's top-of-the-line models, but what is everyone else's opinion on that? Currently I own one star lens, the 16-50mm, which I think is an excellent lens, although I use it half as much as my Sigma 70-300 (which needs to be replaced.) I was pondering the 60-250mm f2.8 DA*, but if a longer Limited lens would be a better quality, then I will go that way.<br>

Thank you all for your opinion.</p>

<p>The Limited lenses are built to a higher build quality, all metal. They generally are very compact for their focal length and speed, and are generally quite sharp, with good bokeh. <br>

The * (star) lenses focus on sharpness and speed. But they can be big and heavy. They have more plastic in their construction than the Limited lenses. Not that plastic is necessarily bad, there was more plastic in the Pentax-A lenses than one might think, and they were durable and had great focusing feel.<br>

There's lots of interesting user reviews of Pentax lenses at Pentax Forums.</p>

The most rescent builds with SDM motors are supposed to be less likely to fail, and certain lenses, like the DA* 60-250 f/4

never did experience unnatural failure rates. The DA* 60-250 f/4 is a very sharp lens that renders images beautifully,

however despite being hand-holdable, is fairly heavy compared to your Sigma 70-300. However, it is a far better lens as

well. Other than the previously mentioned differences, the DA* lenses are also weather sealed while all but one of the

Limited's are not (DA 20-40 Limited is sealed). Another factor is the focal length and type of lens you are looking for. The

DA 20-40 Limited is the only Limited zoom that Pentax makes, the rest being primes. As well, the Limited's don't come in

focal lengths above 77mm.

If you are wanting to replace your Sigma 70-300, a similar lens in size which is reported to be a bit sharper is the Pentax

DA 55-300 f/4-5.8. This is a compact zoom with a decent reputation, which is less expensive, smaller and lighter than the

DA* 60-250 f/4, but not as fast or sharp. There will also be Pentax's new professional full frame FA* 70-200 f/2.8 which is

supposed to be very sharp, but also heavier and quite expensive right now. You could search out a used Sigma EX 70-

200 f/2.8, which had a good reputation.

<p>I might have to give up my 77mm f1.8 limited for the 60-250mm. Although the 77mm is a very good lens I find it difficult finding subjects in that range with a cropped camera so I hardly use it. For portraits it's OK, but the 60-250 is more versatile for my style of shooting. I just hate to say goodbye to one of my Amigos... </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The most rescent builds with SDM motors are supposed to be less likely to fail, and certain lenses, like the DA* 60-250 f/4 never did experience unnatural failure rates.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This information conflicts totally from what my Pentax dealer shared with me. The SDM failure rates on the DA* 60-250 were frequent enough to trigger a "silent" recall from dealers. I was told this about two years ago, and the dealer is one of the few to offer the full gamut of Ricoh Pentax products at the counter and pushes the brand strongly.<br>

For products of that retail price I would expect Ricoh to fix problems--but let's face it, the SDM system was flawed enough to be terminated in favor of better alternatives.<br>

When I used Pentax products as my primary tools, I favored both the "*" lenses and the Limited line, and never had any technical or mechanical issues with the 10 or so lenses I used. As with any brand, I think you have to be judicious about requirements and budget as well as optical quality. <br>

It is very difficult to generalize on brand quality with lenses. Sometimes third parties simply make a better product on all counts. And sometimes the offerings for one camera platform is of significantly different quality than for another. <br>

I'd recommend you rent a few competing lenses for about 4 days and put them through your paces. You'll know what works fairly obviously. <br>

ME</p>

<p>The * and Limited both represent the best of Pentax, but the lines reflect different philosophies. The * are generally fast and weather-sealed and DA* all offer in-lens motors but also trend larger and heavier. The Limited models prioritize classic metal build quality and compact size ahead of outright max aperture but both offer the best of Pentax optics for a given package. The longest limited lens is the 77, though the 100/2.8 WR macro is limited-like in terms of construction even if not named this way. The only limited zoom is the DA 20-40/2.8-4, which also happens to be the only limited lens offering weather sealing and in-lens motor (DC, in this case).</p>

<p>The DA* 60-250/4 is definitely a step up from a Sigma 70-300, though the Pentax 55-300 is pretty good too, and costs quite a bit less and is considerably smaller & lighter. While the 60-250 is a good bit lighter than a 70-200/2.8 would be, its size & weight remain a consideration whenever I am deciding what to bring on a given outing. I have some of the shorter limited lenses as well, they're great too but there is no telezoom designated 'limited'.</p>

<p>It is somewhat interesting that the newly announced full-frame D-FA 24-70/2.8 was not designated with a *. Possibly this is related to the rumors that this lens is a modified Tamron design.</p>