Browser Color Shift Problem

<p>I have an image, (which I have distorted for the client's privacy), which takes on a color shift when viewed from within a browser. I've been working with PS for many, many years so I am aware of the usual pitfalls with browser color shifts when the image has an ICC color profile OTHER than sRGB but that is not the case in this situation.<br /> Image is sRGB. Work space in PS is sRGB and yet in a browser, the image is more saturated, particularly in the reds and not in a good way. Just so we don't get off track, I'm not asking for opinions on what color is more correct. My only concern at this point is why there is such a significant difference when EVERYTHING is sRGB. I always use Chrome for my browser but I tested it with IE and it does the exact same thing.<br /> Here is a screen grab of the browser rendition right next to the PS rendering of the same image.............<br /> <br /><br />https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?preview=Browser-PS-Comparison.jpg<br /> <br /> Here is the actual file. <br /> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53017924/Color%20Shift%20Problem.jpg <br /><br />Please download the file and try this for yourself in PS, (using an sRGB workspace), then compare how it looks in either Chrome or IE. See if you experience the same color shift and tell me if you have any idea why this is happening.<br /> I don't remember ever having this problem before unless of course the file had an ICC color profile other than sRGB.<br /> This is particularly important to me because at least 75% of the freelance editing that I do is for the web as opposed to print.<br /> Thanks ahead of time for anyone who tries to figure this out.</p>

<p>Hi Michael,<br /><br />Thanks for your response.<br /><br />As I mentioned in my first post, I'm using Chrome but the same color shift happens when I open it with Internet Explorer.<br /><br />So, if <strong>you</strong> open the image in Photoshop <strong>AND</strong> open the image up with a browser, and then minimize the Photoshop window and the browser window and put those two minimized windows side by side, as I did in my experiment, the images look exactly the same to you and the browser version is not significantly more red than the Photoshop version????<br /><br />THANKS !<br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>I use IE as my regular browser and also have Safari. When I do the test you suggested using your image, there is a significant shift toward red in IE, but in Safari it looks very much the same as in Photoshop CC. The same thing happens with some of my own images.</p>

<p>I can't explain the red shift. (Maybe something to do with the expansion of the universe? ;<) )</p>

<p>Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply. I THOUGHT I had things set up that I would get email notifications when there were any responses to my post but apparently I do not.<br /><br />Anyway, Michael, thanks.<br>

John, just one monitor it is a calibrated Nec Multisync Pa 242W. I'm using the sRGB settings right now as 90% of the work that I do is destined for the web only.<br /><br />Jeff,..thanks.<br /><br />Kent,............THANK YOU ! ...at least I know that I'm not crazy here. Well, not about this issue anyway. : -) So have you ever figured out a way around this issue when it happens to you?<br /><br />Rodney,.....thanks for the links. I will try them out.<br /><br /><br />OK, SO, if I find out that any particular browser is NOT color managed, what can one do to the image so that the color shift does not happen? Is there a way of stripping all ICC profiles from the image? If so, how would I go about doing that and would that help matters with non-color managed browsers?<br /><br />THANKS !</p>

<blockquote>

<p>OK, SO, if I find out that any particular browser is NOT color managed, what can one do to the image so that the color shift does not happen?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Uploading sRGB is the best option but no guarantee that others will see the image as you do or correctly. The browser isn't color managed! Further uploading sRGB would look poor if someone where viewing the images on a wide gamut display in a non color managed browser. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is there a way of stripping all ICC profiles from the image?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes but why would you want to do that? </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Just to clear up a couple of points in the above:<br>

<br /> IE is halfway color managed, but not where it matters: the monitor profile. It does not convert to the actual monitor profile for display, but instead substitutes sRGB. This means that it will never, under any circumstances, display correctly on a wide gamut monitor. Nor a standard gamut monitor for that matter, but there the difference is less dramatic.<br>

<br /> Firefox is fully color managed and does use the monitor profile, but only on the primary display. If Firefox is moved to the secondary display, it still uses the profile for the primary, and so displays incorrectly.<br>

<br /> All this assuming embedded sRGB profile. Untagged images get slightly more complicated (only Firefox and Safari can handle that correctly by assigning sRGB, so that the conversion into monitor profile can operate normally).</p>