Happier than I've ever been!

<p>When I was younger, in University, I had more models than I could handle, and had a great social life. Made great (to me) photos. Then I got old, ended up in finance regulation, where no one wants to be photographed. For over 15 years, I almost never got the chance to shoot. It bugged me, a lot, so I bought a couple of microscopes, and I can honestly say, it's the best time of my life right now. I've never been happier. I have a lot to learn regarding photomicrography, but my passion for art and for that matter science has never been stronger. I am a very alive person, finally.</p>

<p>And I'd like the thank Phil for that. This website changed my life.</p>

<p>Shawn</p>

<p>Hi, Shawn. I was beginning to wonder where you run off to. Hadn't seen much of any of your postings except for the recent topics on using a microscope to take photos with a DSLR.</p>

<p>Just saw your "Microscope" gallery and can see why you're happy. The work shows it. How the heck did you get the cool/warm colors in those shots to create such unique color designs? I've never seen more beautifully colored microscope shots.</p>

<p>I can relate to your seeking a better life from a creative sense. After about 35 years of a checkered work history, I've found my happy place but it requires I live in poverty, well comparatively that is to certain standards. I certainly don't feel poor.</p>

<p>Hey Tim, I'm always lurking:)</p>

<p>I use different light temperatures, usually, in my microscope shots; a particular colour for the transmitted, and a very different colour for the reflected, light. I'm very new at this. Would like to add polarizers and fluorescent light to my mix.</p>

<p>I scrape by myself. I have a barely-middle-class income but keep investing in my hobbies. I pay my bills, live pay-to-pay, and try to have my fun. Carpe Diem:)</p>

<p>New image...Worker Bee Leg, processed to heck and back:)</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/18110652&size=lg</p>

Good for you, Shawn. Photography to me is never an end in itself and more about my inner journey than display and approbation from others. Latter is nice but not the glow to be sought. I mean that if one shoots astrophotographs and tries for comets ( I caught a nice one once) the thing is to learn about astronomy and if you got the guts, cosmology. I would guess from your satisfaction you are down the trail in micro biology and the botanical sciences. And would enjoy the work on ants by E.O. Wilson who really loved the critters. And managed to dissect their abdomens small as they are. Under his scope. I wish you a good journey into the world of the small.

I still enjoy portraits when I can chase a model down who can model. Got to justify that C stand and the Softlighter etc which occupy so much space in my lanai. They take up more durn room than a scope and slides. Binoculars not so much, I love binos when the sky is still and semi dark. Joy of expanding consci0usness beyond the day to day. And without help of a lot of booze, incidentally, the universal anodyne:-)

<p>When my interest in microbiology and microscopy began, I found wonder in home-made infusions with straw and hay to provide a fascinating world of creatures and plants. A small nearby stream added to the proliferation of subjects. Unfortunately all of my work got trashed in a flood years ago, but my memories are as strong as ever. Glad to see others taking up the mantle with the same degree of enthusiasm. I see you have a cat/s...let me tell you, their fur, whiskers, claws, (if they are outdoor cats) ear mites, etc make great subjects for examination and photos, as does pollen, mold spores from stale bread, etc. Kep up the good work!</p>

<p>Shawn - if you're building up your stain inventory, one of my favorite from years back was lactophenol cobalt blue principally for use with molds, yeasts and spores. For single cell organisms when I wanted to watch them ingest stain particles without killing them - a good choice is powdered carmine or rouge, and Eosin Y is a good one for blood cells. The web has lots of examples of various stains and techniques for employing them. It looks like you're having a lot of fun.</p>

<p>Hi Stephen, here's what I have. I went on a buying-spree not really knowing what I'm doing. I am hoping at least some of these will work with small metazoans (brine shrimp to drosophila-sized, incl. hopefully some tiny chordates...I know there are some circa ~1" sized fish out there for sale). Not really interested in plants or fungi other than looking at the prepared slides I've purchased. And prokaryotes only interest me within the microbiome of metazoans.</p>

<p>Eosin Y (it's a pill?)<br />Methylene Blue Chloride<br />Methyl Violet 2B<br />Indigo Carmine<br />Iodine<br />Ethyl Alcohol (very small bottle)<br />Formalin-Nigrosin<br />Malachite Green Oxalate<br />Safranin O<br />Carbol Fuchsin<br /><br />I also have 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, and Glycerin.<br>

<br>

I need much more, clearly, especially if I want to 'clear' chitin or stain cartilage or bone.<br>

<br>

Wish I'd taken some biology at school lol!<br>

<br>

Shawn</p>

<p>Wow - you're set for a few years! Keep sharing some of your photos as you go along. BTW, I always found that a little gelatin dissolved in water did a great job of slowing down protozoans for live observation. If you don't have any, pick up a a couple of concave microscope slides (you use the same coverglasses as for regular slides)...great for watching live organisms.</p>