Tamron vs Sigma

donald_miller5

<p>I lent my Rebel EOS to a friend who wants to start film photography. To complete my compliment I found some great buys on Goodwill auction site and I have some redundant artifacts that I can move at a profit on Ebay. I have a canon 35-80 mm lens and a sigma 28-80mm lens. I know the Canon lens commands a better price. How much better is the Canon lens vs the Sigma lens?</p>

<p>I don't have either lens, but when you ask which is better what exactly do you mean...better construction, ease of use, better weather sealing, better contrast, better resolution at various specific apertures, less resistance to flare, less distortion, etc. ? Over many years I've often found 3rd party manufacturers turning out lenses which are highly competitive with OEM versions, and I often interchange them based on my preferences for a particular look. When I've sold any lenses on the big auction site, I include shots taken with the lenses so people can draw their own conclusions.</p>

I am talking in terms of overall value. I am trying to decide which to sell in combination with a Rebel EOS which is not my

forte. I usually stick to manual film cameras. I know (assume) that the Canon lens is a better product especially in image

quality but to what degree? Is it a matter where someone would say are you out of you mind that there is no comparison

and one is junk or is it that they are both competent lens's and it might not be a bad move to sell the canon for a few more

bucks and be content with the Sigma. If I had to clarify I would be mostly concerned with image quality i.e. resolution,

contrast, flare and distortion.

<p>If your friend is after these kinds of lenses, my advice would be to search eBay for good deals on cameras that have the lens included. If you get the set for a good price, there is a very high likelihood that you can sell the camera alone for the same money you payed for the set, effectively picking up the lens for free. Alternatively, KEH currently has the Sigma for $5.</p>

<p>I am sorry, I was not clear. What happened is that I when I lent her the camera, I still had another EOS digital body so I picked up some really good buys from Good will since she will want a complete kit eventually. I am left with 1 extra lens and SLR body after all is done that I can resell when all is said and done. I am trying to decide which lens to sell in terms of which would sell best and what I am sacrificing if I keep the Sigma vs the Canon. Again I apologize for my lack of clarity. So far from the responses it looks like it doesn't make any difference.</p>

Oh yeah, while writing it I decided to keep the Tamoron just by gut feeling. This is one of those questions where I am obsessing too much and I threw

out there for some input. Maybe I should throw the Tamron back in the discussion. I am just vacilating too much and the worst thing is that I usually

do not have patience for others when they do this so I am quite the hypocrite. Maybe it's my anxiety of listing on ebay which I have not done in years.

<p>http://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Sigma/28-105mm-f2.8-f4-Zoom-Aspherical-(Canon-AF).html</p>

<p>says about $80 for a Sigma 28-105, I don't see a 28-80 there. </p>

<p>Many AF lenses from 10 to 20 years ago are worth about $20 to $50 or so. </p>

<p>I have a Canon EF 35-80 III from shopgoowill for $22. </p>

<p>Manual focus lenses maybe $10 to $30. I bought a Nikon AI 80-200 Zoom for $10 from a Goodwill auction. </p>

<p>If you need the money, then sell it, but you won't get much. Better to do, as with the other one, give it to some friend or relative that can use it.</p>

-- glen