Beat up Summicron 50mm f/2 (Rigid) - yay or nay?

louis_emelina

<p>Hi guys :)<br /> I think I might need your advice<br /> I have the opportunity to get myself a Summicron 50mm f/2. For a very good price. The catch is it's very, very beat up. The infinity focus doesn't lock, there is some heavy scratching on the outside, the front elements have cleaning marks and the rear elements have some light coating damage.<br /> I'm torn: on the one hand I feel like buying it and giving it to a reputable technician to get it in working condition (I don't care that much about the aesthetic aspect of the lens, not when it's a Summicron 50, and not certainly not at that price - roughly $350-400 ish), on the other I feel like I could spend as much on an Elmar 50mm f2.8, a Summarti 50mm f1.5 or even a collapsible Summicron 50mm f/2 in very good condition.<br /> I fear an extensive repait of the Summicron might be ruinously expensive... As seasoned veterans of the photography world (by which I mean, young looking, fit and incredibly experienced, of course) what would be your opinion on the matter? Is it a gamble worth taking? Should I get one of the other two lenses I mentioned above instead? Should I save for a few more months and get a working Summicron?</p>

<p>Your input is greatly appreciated, and will be rewarded with copious amounts of internet brownie points (exchangeable for cookie, cupcake, donut and now churros points as well at your nearest virtual change bureau).</p>

<p>. . . roughly $350-400 ish . . . . ??<br /> WAAAAAY too much $ being asked for it.<br /> I have seen quite a few of these lenses with "cleaning marks" -- and under proper lighting they are almost always much worse than described or suspected. Mostly they appear under decent lighting and careful inspection to appear badly "sandpapered."<br /> If you watch the auction sites you can get a really decent lens for not a whole lot more than a beat-to-death $400 problem lens that will never be made right -- especially if the glass is badly compromised.<br>

The SUMMICRONS are the best of the best . . .</p>

"My film died of exposure."

<p>Yes, it would seem too expensive, particularly in the absence of a lens technician who can evaluate. We, however, don't know what you mean quantatively by your description of the optical damage. It's pretty rare for a lens of that age to have no damage. You are unlikely to find the other lenses you mention in 'as new' condition.<br>

Which means; it might be just fine in practice, but I don't like the sound of rear coating damage. I figure if I can hold a lens up to a strong light and see a clean image, It might be OK, and if you only have one surface to repair, it may not be too bad. </p>

<p>Yes, it would seem too expensive, particularly in the absence of a lens technician who can evaluate. We, however, don't know what you mean quantatively by your description of the optical damage. It's pretty rare for a lens of that age to have no damage. You are unlikely to find the other lenses you mention in 'as new' condition.<br>

Which means; it might be just fine in practice, but I don't like the sound of rear coating damage. I figure if I can hold a lens up to a strong light and see a clean image, It might be OK, and if you only have one surface to repair, it may not be too bad. <br>

Haven't helped really, have I. I have had your problem with virtually the same old Leitz lenses; win a few, lose a few.</p>

<p>I don't know if it would cost all too muc. I sent my 1969 Summilux 50mm f/1.4 to the people in Leica America and they only charge $350 for the complete repair [it was foggy and the helicoil thread and main body of the lens completely fell apart]. The only problem is if the helicoil thread is damaged you're kind of out of luck [if it's an older lens] because they don't make them anymore. Maybe that was just in my case though</p>

<p>Of the three alternatives you list, only the Elmar 50/2.8 can be recommended. However, it is a stop slower than the Summicron. The Summarit and the collapsible Summicron were long ago surpassed in optical quality. If you are not bound to Leitz, the M-Hexanon 50/2 and the Canon 50/1.4 should be considered. I have had them and neither gave cause for complaint.</p>

The front element will be ~$200 to have done.

If you can get the lens for under $100, might be worthwhile. It can also be a complete can of worms. Myself, I would buy it

for under $100 only because I have a spare front element. Still a gamble, and a lot of work- which I do myself. I figure for

$100, the focus mount is worth the price and I can always use it to hack a lens into Leica mount.