best PC for photo editing

<p>Lr may be coded multi-hreaded, but it doesn't mean it does it well.</p>

<p>If you look at the processor graphs, you may see "blips" of usage on all cores. but if you look at the % of use, you will see it way down. The OS will rotate the core usage, and it will appear on all cores. That does not mean any performance gain, just load balancing. Single threading will do that.</p>

<p>I am very pleased with my two year old Intel i7-4700HQ at 2.4Hz, 16GB, Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M with 2GB ram, as well as a 120GB SSD and 1TB drive. A current i7 would obviously be a benefit. I have no idea how the graphics card affects what I do. A 1TB drive is overkill since I have a 3TB external drive with the same off site backup, but it is very nice for keeping my portfolio accessible and for keeping all my work-in-process photos available. I transfer the images that I am working on to the SSD. I have not experimented to know if this helps a lot or not. I will often check the Task Manager while processing the stitching or stacking of images and have never seen it use more than 8GB of ram but again it is just comfortable knowing there is 16GB available. I could still upgrade to 32GB and maybe I will want to when I get a 50MP plus camera to replace my 21 and 25 MP cameras. </p>

<p>I have had this computer for a few months now having bought it used and could not be happier. It was/is the top of the line gaming laptop from ASUS, and a desktop should be even better. The only thing I lack is the high quality monitor.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@John -- I do love the NEC, but when you go shopping watch for that cable connection. The NEC came with all the cables that you would need -- but in the manual it recommended the Display Port as one of the better options. That port seems to be available in desktops, but not so much in laptops -- except for the Mac. I'm sure there are adapters that would work, but if you just spent big bucks for a high end monitor you want it to work at its best, instead of hobbling it slightly, is my feeling -- but don't take my advice -- I don't know much about the inner workings of such things. :-) I did get the NEC calibrator when I got the monitor, but watching some You Tube videos, the ColorMunki looks like it may have been a more versatile unit. <br>

I'm looking forward to the new laptop, but have my fingers-crossed regarding the Win10 -- I've read that some say that CS6 runs fine with Windows10, others say 'no luck'. The laptop manufacturer would not install anything but Win10 (got the Pro version as I usually do for all previous windows OS') but just recommended that it may need to be run in compatibility mode -- which I have found, sometimes works, sometimes not. :-) My other concern is my Epson 3880, since it too is 'old' -- I struggled installing that with the Mac but finally got it to work. <br>

But I've gone through this scenario every time I buy a new computer -- since Win3.1 -- ha ha! usually I do not have a problem and can run most everything I own until that peripheral goes obsolete. Another topic, for sure, but this constant need to upgrade 'everything' -- what is going to happen when I retire and income just isn't available for this stuff constantly. This is a whole new dynamic that no generation has ever experienced. I look at my parents, who have no computers or anything more technical than their TV -- they have lived fine without it (but I can tell they do think that some of the stuff would be useful) -- they also do not have to worry about monthly charges for internet, wireless, etc -- that keep going up and up. My generation is the first to be integrated into this and we are getting close to retirement -- what then? For some, there's pensions, but that is also few and far in between, and of course those that made good money and have a nice retirement nest-egg. But, again, what about the middle income worker that did not have a State job -- has something set aside for retirement but not enough to 'live comfortably' but only within their means. Do we walk away from all of this or make the decision to pay the monthly bills and constantly buy the latest upgrade at the expense of other necessities. It is difficult for my generation because we grew up during a time when you kept things 'forever' and began being integrated into 'planned obsolescence' during the time when everything was so cool in our 30's -- of which we now can't live without!<br>

I know I got off on a tangent! But this latest purchase and conversation got me thinking about the future -- can I keep going on like this for the next 30 years?</p>

"If you look at the processor graphs, you may see "blips" of usage on all cores. Put if you look at the % of use, you will see it

way down. The OS will rotate the core usage, and it will appear on all cores. That does not mean any performance gain,

just load balancing. Single threading will do that."

I don't see "blips" at all. All cores often work near max. Are you suggesting, at the same clock speed, that quad cores are

not faster than dual core with Lr?

" My other concern is my Epson 3880, since it too is 'old' -- I struggled installing that with the Mac but

finally got it to work."

I have an old Samsung colour laser from 2005 and an ancient Epson 1400. When I plugged them into W10,

nothing happened in terms of a pop-ups on the monitor yet both were there showing in the print window

ready to go; it took no effort, it just works. Mavericks on the other hand...was just like you say and took

multiple clicks and a Google search. I'm apprehensive about "upgrading" to El Capital

I have the same computer as Charles except with 12Gig Ram. I have a service poiicy. I have had, on occasion issues with Malware. Dell service is located in India and has been outstanding anytime I had a problem. No issues with language at all. I can get to them directly with a supplied phone number. I am using Windows ten with LR cc without problems. I am printing with a Canon

PRO 100 that works fine with this computer and W10. So I second what Charles has reported. I do sports and usually process 500 or so images per event. The Dell does very well with that and LR CC.